Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-26-2015, 02:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

So... Need help with this one....

The internet says that this is a cichlid fish (that's why I put this thread here). But I don't know which type/species is this one. All I know is that the shopkeepers keep telling me that these fish is not friendly in community tank and will attack other fishes as big as this fish or eat the ones smaller than it (which is the type of tank I have at the moment).

This is how it looks like (found a picture in the internet that resembles my fish):

I put them inside the tanks already and they didn't attack my other fishes, and looks quite friendly, but the shopkeepers said that when they mature, they will surely attack my other fishes.

Please help me, what should I do with them?? I bought them and I love animals and so I can't just throw them away (I have no other empty fish tank, but I do have empty buckets....).

Old 12-26-2015, 02:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Picture isn't showing.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:12 PM   #3
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Was this the one?

http://m.imgur.com/MkGcAWn
Old 12-27-2015, 01:41 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If the fish you're talking about is the one that Delapool linked...(if the fish i am describing isnt what you linked, then im just dumb i guess. If its not his fish... Well, knowledge)

That is a species of tialpia, not a cichlid. However, it has all the effects of one. It has a horrific attitude, and yea, when its 12"+, it will kill. A lot.

I believe this it the Butti Tialpia, aka Hornet Cichlid (even though its not a cichlid).

They can reach up to 14" and are the African equivalent of a Red Devil. Mean.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice
Old 12-27-2015, 02:33 AM   #5
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

So... Need help with this one....

The link was from the pic but slightly edited. Hoping I got it right for the OP but would be good if they can confirm else can have another crack at it.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:29 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
The link was from the pic but slightly edited. Hoping I got it right for the OP but would be good if they can confirm else can have another crack at it.
Yes the picture is right. So it's not a cichlid?? Hmm.... the ones in my tank is very small atm, around 1.5 until 3 cm. And the shopkeeper said that this one won't grow big (that's why I'm asking) and won't be vicious... But later in the future it will be vicious but won't be really big, and he said that this fish: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labidochromis_caeruleus will be more vicious than the hornet cichlid (hornet cichlid is called ninety nine in my country for who knows what reason lol xD)
Old 12-27-2015, 02:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If the fish you got is indeed the Hornet Cichlid, you're in for a rough ride.

You're pet store either has some dumb employees or some really intelligent ones. Basically, they either actually didn't know, or they managed to sell you a big mean fish.

These fish will get to a foot long easily in a couple years, and usually 8-9 inches in their first year of life, by most accounts.

They have horrible aggression. Like, think of the level a Red Devil or Midas has, and thats it. They will kill. No questions asked. People keep these fish alone, because they need massive tanks to be able to mix safely with others. And even then its not for sure.

Not sure if im getting my point through. But yeah. Hornet Cichlid=mean.

I would say keep it in at least a 75, just so it can turn around properly. However, a 125 would be a good tank for it, not essential though. You can try tank mates but be prepared for death.

They eat pretty much the same as American Cichlids, just get some pellets and they will eat. They don't have the same requirements as many of the Africans.

And that fish you linked was called a Yellow Lab. Its is actually quite peaceful as far as Africans go. The Butti will slaughter it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice
Old 12-27-2015, 08:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Really neat fish.

Heterotilapia Buttikoferi family cichlidae.

Just curious why this is not considered a cichlid?
Old 12-28-2015, 11:52 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayzorBeams View Post
Not sure if im getting my point through. But yeah. Hornet Cichlid=mean.
So.... What if I mix Hornet Cichlid with Flowerhorn Cichlid and Oscar fish?? And probably alligator fish??
Old 12-28-2015, 12:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayzorBeams View Post
And that fish you linked was called a Yellow Lab. Its is actually quite peaceful as far as Africans go. The Butti will slaughter it.
So it's quite peaceful? Hmm... The internet says that it's pretty territorial, especially the male ones (with the black stripe on it's upper fin??). But I have only 4 of them and all has no black stripe (female??). So yeah, I won't throw them into a quarantined tank.

But what about black tetras??? One of my swordtail fish just died a couple of hours ago and I suspect the hornet, or the black tetra (since the hornet is only 2-3 cm long, so I doubt it's them).

Tags
identify, unknown fish, vicious

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com