Socolofi STILL HOLDING ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mactec47

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello to all. I've one very healthy male Socolofi and 2 adult females. Both females were holding at the same time. I isolated each in separate small pet carriers. One has released her 20 fry successfully and is back in the main tank. The 2nd holding Socolofi's mouth is as full and droopy as ever but I only discovered one fry. My question: is she still holding or could this be a batch of new unfertilized eggs ? I can't bring myself to stress her by stripping her eggs or fry. She's been isolated for 3-4 weeks and appears to want out of captivity. Thanks to all in advance .

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

She wouldn't hold them unfertilized I don't think. Usually it's lay, fertilize, scoop. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they can sense the little heartbeats, otherwise she'd spit them out. Could also be they have hatched, but she's still holding them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Stripping isn't that stressful really. My old LFS (the co-owner breeds a lot of species in their hatchery next door) strips his paracyprichromis, which is a very delicate fish. If these can be stripped, it's no issue for a socofoli really. Most African breeders strip instead of letting them spit, as waiting for them to spit also means more time from when they last ate, in turn making them weaker for longer and thus less time before returning to the male(s)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom