Softened water, can I do cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXaggie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, I was hoping for some advice on whether my water parameters would be reasonable to keep shell dwellers. We're on well water, and our water goes through a softener. Here's the results from a recent professional analysis we had done:

TDS: 507
Ca mg/L: 0.241
Hardness mg/L: 0.602
pH: 7.6

I think the hardness converts to less than 1 degree??? Is that possible? Any others with softened water able to advise? Thanks.

We use those big bags of salt from the hardware store. NaCl pellets. I'd say I could just run water straight from the well but it's a good distance from the house and the whole house is on the softener system.

We also have a plethora of limestone so I could easily put that in the tank, but I don't know if that would stabilize things enough or if the softened water would be an issue.

I've run a water softener for years and I've bred over a hundred species including discus and rare wild caught fish so the answer is whatever you want. I think most people here can my attest to my breeding program in softened hard water.

Last edited:
I've run a water softener for years and I've bred over a hundred species including discus and rare wild caught fish so the answer is whatever you want. I think most people here can my attest to my breeding program in softened hard water.

That's great to hear! Would you recommend adding anything? Limestone/crushed coral to try to raise the pH for something like a shell dweller? I've been dubious in the past about trying to alter the base chemistry of tap water but I feel like I'm already up that creek with using water run through the softener....

Back
Top Bottom