Somebody PLEASE help me figure out what this is in my tank!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicolemarie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to the board, and I would not consider myself an aquarium "enthusiast," but I love my fish, and don't want him to die. I have a South American Cichlid that I have had for about three years, that I took from someone so that they wouldn't flush him. He is an absolutely awesome fish. Anyway, I got home today, and noticed all of these weird little white balls growing in a sort of cluster on the side of the tank. I don't remember seeing them yesterday-- what could they be? I am planning on cleaning the tank as soon as my husband gets home, but I just want to know what they are.

This morning I put some more water in the tank, because some had evaporated, and I turned on the light to warm him up, because the temperature dropped. He seems healthy and active and normal.... I just want to know what it is.

I know I probably seem like the worst fish owner in the world... I am in law school, and work, and do not really have time to properly clean the tank as regularly as I should. But he is a very hearty fish, and he seems pretty happy.

Please help me figure out what is going on!!!!

[center:a556dc1107] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, nicolemarie!! :n00b: [/center:a556dc1107]

I have a South American Cichlid that I have had for about three years, that I took from someone so that they wouldn't flush him.
Can you be more specific or post a pic?

You are fortunate that he is healthy. When the temp fluctuates, that can stress a fish, making them susceptible to disease. Please get a heater for the tank. They are cheaper on-line and if you tell us the tank size, we can tell you the best deal.

I keep many animals and they are time consuming, but I maintained them while in a PhD program and through my Master’s work--it's doable :wink:

The white balls are most likely due from poor water parameters. In a cycled tank, the ammonia and nitrites are undetectable and the nitrates are below 40ppm. Is there a filter in the tank? Next time you go to the LFS, bring a sample of the tank water and ask them to test it. Write down the exact values and don't accept "ammonia is fine, nitrites slightly high...." Doing a PWC of 25% weekly or biweekly will help keep the health of this fish and eliminate nasty things growing in the aquarium :D

Back
Top Bottom