soo many cichlids but what to choose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok i think my stocking is almost complete. i currently have
1 demasoni
2 peacocks
2 cobalts
2 yellow labs (will end up with 4 maybe 6)
2 Msobo Deep

i am wondering what else would go well with these fish. i am not sure how full this tank is yet but i would really like to add atleast 1 more pair of fish or add to one of the other pairs. i have a very wide range of cichlids available to me so dont be shy with some less common species.it is a 55 gallon tank with alot of rock work. any suggestions are welcome. thanks in advance :)

I'd say the tank is pretty full and perhaps too full with the extra labs. Leave some room for an algae eater and catfish. A synodontis cat would be best suited for the african tank as well as chinese algae eaters.

I'd say just add the extra Labs. They prefer to be in groupings anyways. Unless you have problems with algae I wouldn't even worry about an algae eater.

i have 2 golden algea eaters in the tank because after cycling i had a brown algea problem. i was also thining that just the extra labs would be good. or maybe 1 extra of each fish so i would have 3 of each except for the demasoni.

I'd say the tank is nowhere near full for an african tank.
Some acei "tanzania" (black with yellow tails) would make a nice addition in my opinion.

Matt.

black? i didnt know there were any black africans. i will definatly have to check into those. i have never seen them in my lfs but there are always new ones showing up. thanks defekt :) anyone else have an interesting cichlid they would like to suggest? and why do you think it is nowhere near stocked defekt? i originally planned out about 15 fish for this tank but was told this is to much.

oops for some reason I didn't see or pay attention to the 2 peacocks.
even still, i'd throw in another 4-5 fish. Africans aren't all that messy and aggression is dispersed better if it is overstocked, consquently making your choice range alot broader.
What sort of filtration?

it has a penguin 350 with the bio wheel. i was thinking about getting a powerhead and mounting the outtake near the bottom to help get rid of all the stuff that settles. do you thikn this is enough filtration. i bought the tank as a kit and that is the filter it came with. i know most people will say u should have a canister filter for tank 55 and above but they are too expensive. i want to but a bubble wall along the back behinde the rocks but i cant stand the sound of the damn air pump.

You don't think Africans are messy? I must have some "odd" Africans because mine are. They poo like crazy. You may have a hard time finding Tanz Acei's. If you can't find them, regular Acei's are beautiful also. They are a deep purple coloration with yellow fins. Beautiful IMO and like to be in groupings like the Labs. If you have the funding in the future, definately purchase a canister for a 55 gal tank with Africans.

I have a 55 african community tank with 2 AC 110 hob filters. The intakes run into the UG filter plate lift tubes, one 110 for each plate. The area under the plates stays clear, and the 2 sponges in each filter collect whatever filters through the gravel. That's close to 1000 gph flow rate, so the water always stays clean, and there is definite overkill on biological filtration. Even w/out the UG filter, I'd at least add another hob for your tank. If you put a good-size powerhead in the tank, you could attach an airline to it, to create something similar to a bubble wall. I'm not sure how deep the powerhead will draw air though.

Back
Top Bottom