Sources

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MeCasa

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can I have your secret sources for buying Cichlids? If anybody is in Houston Texas and knows local breeders or you have some fair priced internet suppliers please let me know.

I'll keep it secret

I live 15 minutes away from livefishdirect.com

From being in their store, and up at their farm, I would recommend then 100% their prices are fair. And the more you order the more you save. The staff are really good at taking requests. (I.e. Give me the biggest one)
And their fish are kept in primo conditions.

When you get a fish from a dealer, or big box store. It's usually changed hands (tanks) 6-7 times before it gets to you.
With livefishdirect. The fish is breed, moved to the store, and then to you. I wish I could upload some pictures of fish I've gotten from them, but I'm at my limit.

BTW they are in Utah, and ship all over. They have lots of different receiving options. I've heard if you pick up the fish at your local airport is the cheapest.

I have never bought any fish online but I buy EVERYTHING else online including my underwear so I may try fish.

I think there was a time when we were all afraid of having live critters shipped but it's been done enough that the fear is fading.

The next problem would be that we ALL think we can pick out good ones and nobody would be in this forum if they were the kind of people that let the attendant pick their fish.

That little quirk will be hard to break especially when hunting for a particular sex.

I know what you mean. I go to their store open to the public on Saturday because I like to pick my own fish. But one time. I did ask then to grab me a specific type and was very happy with what they picked out. They sell a lot of unsexed fish, so I'm not sure how they are about trying to make sure you get males. But you can ask.

Depending on what kind of fish you're looking for there are a number of places. Livefishdirect.com is obviously one of them but also take a look at wetspot tropical fish as their fish list is always much larger than livefishdirect. Aquabid.com is also a really good place just check the buyer rating but there are tons of reputable people on there. If it's African Cichlids you're looking for I would check out daves rare fish or little african aquatics as they both have fish you wouldn't find at most places and quality is great.

Good links, especially that aquabid. Not sure what I think about it but it's a lot of fun to look through, especially with the search function.

I love it. And like I said, you just have to check the seller rating which is easy enough. I love Apistogramma and they are a little bit harder to find than most fish, especially the really cool ones and there is one of the better breeders in the U.S. and if you ask me I'd say one of the best around, Apistodave. He has all kinds of cool fish and great looking very healthy ones at that. For me, aquabid is by far the best. I've also bought some shrimp on there. I've never had a bad transaction. It just depends on what you want.

My chances of getting good stock just went up, I own a window company and the graphics lady who designs my mailouts brought up in conversation that her sister has been in the business of building and maintaining aquariums in Houston Texas for twenty + years.

She gave me her phone number so that I could call and ask for local sources and breeders of cichlids.

Keeping my fingers crossed :)

The lady came through and I thought I'd share with anybody in the forum who may live in this part of Texas. The first thing she stated wasn't news to members of this forum but she stressed how much Petco and Petsmart have decimated the local breeding business. However Houston has a website dedicated to trading fish and this is EXACTLY what I needed :)

Activity Stream - HoustonFishBox

Houston also has an Aquarium Club, I'm not a big joiner but I'm sure one or more of these kind souls will put me on the path of quality procurement, not to mention be a valuable source of information.

Houstonaquariumsociety

Unfortunately, they just had a death :(

Back
Top Bottom