South american cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jewel_cichlid03

Aquarium Advice Freak
Currently have a 75g aquarium with stock as follows

1x firemouth cichlid - 2inches
1x convict cichlid - 1.5 inches
1x Redfin tiger loach - 3inches
1x green terror cichlid - 2 inches

I live in a small community and a new lfs didnt do so good buisness wise and is closing down .. All there stock has to be sold by friday or it gets flushed to put it nicely and i went inside hoping to find some deals maybe on some fish stuff which i did but after looking at the stock of fish he had left i came across a tank that had 2 oscars in it one lemon oscar and one tiger oscar both around 2 inches long. I know i could not permantly home the oscar but knowing my brother in law has a empty 60g i gave him a call and informed him that i would really like to rescue atleast one of them and he said he would gladly help but i would need to hold it in my tank and keep them in my 75 till my brother in law is able to come down and get them in January because he lives in Illinois. with my current stock would it be possible to house one of These oscars till January i would really like to help but i will not endanger any of my current stock knowing that oscars grow quick an can be aggressive. Would like to get opinions on whether this would work and advice on how to get the tank mates to get along better for the couple months i would have the oscar in my tank.

I think that would be a very bad idea. Green terrors are called that for a reason lol. 75 gallons is too small even if they are Juvies. I don't think they would last till January, not even the end of the month. Commendable what you wana do, but I'd try to find a better home for them.

Well that leads me to the next point i do have a 55g in the garage i could possibly fix something up temperarly for the fish nothing fancy but it could work the next 4.5 months

Well that leads me to the next point i do have a 55g in the garage i could possibly fix something up temperarly for the fish nothing fancy but it could work the next 4.5 months

Yes that was in the back of my mind but since you didn't suggest it I wasn't sure. That should be fine for a couple months until they can be rehomed.

I think that would be a very bad idea. Green terrors are called that for a reason lol. 75 gallons is too small even if they are Juvies. I don't think they would last till January, not even the end of the month. Commendable what you wana do, but I'd try to find a better home for them.

What do you mean a 75 is to small even if there juvies?? The green terror or oscar? Green terrors really are not that mean. Most dont deserve that name. Some are psychotic. But i think you will be fine untill january

Also, the oscar will prob cause more problems than anything. They grow fast and the rest of your fish are slow growers. Make sure you have many hiding spots and you will be fine.

It's not enough footprint to avoid aggression. I wouldn't risk adding the oscars because either them or the terror will probably get frisky. It's one thing if they were added at similar times but territory has already been established, adding the oscars would likely disrupt that.

Well ive set up the 55g in the garage i got two 60g Hob filters and 100w heater on the tank with sand im keeping the tank around 76 degrees ... Its up and going so ill be picking up the tiger oscar thursday ... I have lots of water changes in store for me when i get him but it'll be worth it .. Saving the life of a fish is always worth it

I got the osar today he is enjoying the 55g all to himself and i contacted the brother in law and he may be able to get here sooner then January he just has to get the boss to let him take the week of christmas off so hopefully i can get the little guy (for now anyway )... To his permant home sooner then expected.

Im only gonna have him for a short while but while i have him im gonna try and teach him to jump through a hoop lol

Nice little o. FYI you new little o will appreciate the water a few degrees warmer around 80. 76 is getting a little cool for oscars. I keep mine around 80-82. Once you get down to the low 70's they don't like it at all, and 76 is on the boarder. Hope he works out for you.

Back
Top Bottom