South American Cichlids Fighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish Frank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 Neon Blue Dwarf Acara that are constantly fighting with their mouths. How can I stop this and prevent for the future? Thank you.
IMG_7294.jpg

That is pretty typical behavior. How big of a tank are they in how is it decorated?

Those are electric blue acara, they can be aggressive at times, there is nothing dwarf about them. 5-6" max

there is nothing dwarf about them. 5-6" max
It is all a matter of perspective. They are diminutive in comparison with an adult Parachromis dovii.

But, yeah, chances are those fish are in too small of a space together.

It is all a matter of perspective. They are diminutive in comparison with an adult Parachromis dovii.

But, yeah, chances are those fish are in too small of a space together.
I think dwarf cichlids and I'm thinking apistos and rams. These guys don't get huge but I wouldn't put them in the dwarf category?? Maybe in a 180 gal tank;)

The tank is 60 gallons but I’ve got a deal with the local aquarium so I can swap them in when they get too big.

They are also in a community tank so it’s not like the focus of their aggression is focused on each other as much as it would be if they were on their own.

I have...
1x Gold spot Pleco
1x large angel
5x small angel
2x Ellioti breeding pair
12x Hockey Stick (penguin) Tetra
2x Bronze Corydoras
1x Bronze Albino Corydoras
2x Heckeli Cichlids
1x Red Horse Face Cichlid (small)

It's too much..the Ellioti and acara are going to battle. The angles are a pita, unless you love them? Let then go, they will wreak havoc on that tank..

There is no fighting except for when the Ellioti are spawning and the acara are fighting

Nicely done. It looks really good.

Personally, I think your best bet is only having one of the acaras in a tank that size.

Keep an eye on the heckelii. They are totally peaceful and then they reach a certain size and start killing each other.

I don't know what a "Red Horse Face Cichlid" but from the picture some type of Geophagus I guess?

Yes.. this guy and these guys almost killed each other until I moved him, looks a but similar to what you're about to have huh?
cdeaee3d1eaae8ad7fbab3b01e7cb0e3.jpg
bd9471cab2ceedef091785b5b10eef5b.jpg

Thanks. Yep it’s a geophagus. Look it up in the internet. I would highly recommend purchasing one yourself. [emoji1360]

Yeah wow they get quite big. I have seen them in shops that size but once again I was gonna trade them back to the shop. Thanks for the help, your tank looks great!

Thanks. Yep it’s a geophagus. Look it up in the internet. I would highly recommend purchasing one yourself. [emoji1360]

I love earth eaters and most Geophagus in particular. I have just never heard them called by that name. I have kept G. dicrozoster, G. winemilleri, G. altifrons, A. heckelii, B. cupido, S. leucosticta and probably more that I am not thinking of right now.

When they get bigger watching them sift through the sand is awesome.

I love earth eaters and most Geophagus in particular. I have just never heard them called by that name. I have kept G. dicrozoster, G. winemilleri, G. altifrons, A. heckelii, B. cupido, S. leucosticta and probably more that I am not thinking of right now.

When they get bigger watching them sift through the sand is awesome.

Wow, that’s a lot of Geophagus. The scientific name for Red Horse Face Cichlid is Geophagus Surinamensis.

Back
Top Bottom