South american cichlids from colombia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCommunityCichlid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright I have decided to take a new approach with one of my tanks. I've decided to make a biotope of the Caribbean region rivers. (edit lake Maracaibo basin) of colombia. Since the only real tank members are my Hujeta gar. Trouble is I can't find any cichlids that will work for a tank around 55 gallons that won't be eaten by the cuddas. Any of you new world experts know about this region?

I think acaronia nassa (basket mouth Acara) are from that region of Colombia, but I'll have to dig a little more

I found these guys so far and some big cichlids like dovii size lol.
andinoacara biseriatus
Adinoacara coeruleopunctatus
Biotodoma wavrini

I found these guys so far and some big cichlids like dovii size lol.
andinoacara biseriatus
Adinoacara coeruleopunctatus
Biotodoma wavrini

B. wavrini are awesome little guys, but super peaceful, not sure how they'll do with hujeta though

heroina isonycterina is a Colombian species, not sure if its in the exact region you're looking for, but it's a rare, and awesome species

The gars are good as long as the fish are a few inches. I have a butterfly fish with them right now who goes untouched. He will go to another tank before its finished

The gars are good as long as the fish are a few inches. I have a butterfly fish with them right now who goes untouched. He will go to another tank before its finished

If you can find the wavrini, I'd say do those. Man of the andinoacara and aequidens look quite similar, but the wavrini are pretty unique. I still vote the heroina ;) if you can find them

If you can find the wavrini, I'd say do those. Man of the andinoacara and aequidens look quite similar, but the wavrini are pretty unique. I still vote the heroina ;) if you can find them

i got the heroina hook up!!!! these guys are rare but if you get a pair , you will soon find out they are the convicts of the south american world!!!!! ihave a few smaller ones now and my buddy has several hundred fry from three different batches. pm me if you are interested.

The Biotodoma wavrini look cool but I would go with whatever is going to be be available through specialized online retailers. Allot of times you can find something cool online but chances are its rarely imported.

Back
Top Bottom