south american cichlids in 90 g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philc21

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok ive moved down to thinking about a 90 gallon i was told that the green terror is too big for a 90 im looking to get an oscar a green terror a severum and maybe sumthin else possibly a pacu but thats all im set on would a 90 gallon be too small and wut if it was the same length and width as a 120 but just not as high im thinking about getting the tank custom built (48*24*?) the 120 was (48*24*24) would this effect anything since they stay near middle and bottom most of the time let me know wut you guys think

Oscars and Pacu's are very large fish, Altho I have never kept them I would be weary of putting them in a shallow tank.

Have you ever seen a fully grown pacu? Their MONSTERS! :lol:

Oscars and green terrors can be kept in a 90. We're talking 3 total at MOST.

Avoid pacu's. They get TWICE as large as oscars and GTs

Pacus are tankbuster types and are really only suitable for monster tanks, and most home aquarists should avoid them, IMHO. I agree with Ferret above, but I do think that would be an awesome tank, and would not discourage you.

I should note a single Oscar, a single GT, and a single Severum should be PERFECTLY happy in a 90 gallon. A bit tight but there should be a minimal of aggressive. As always, milage may vary, but filtration is gonna be your biggest concern. Minimal of two Emperor 400s or equivilent.

I've got an Oscar, a Jack Dempsey, and a Black Convict in a 55 and they seem very happy!

See my new thread for a question about these...

They are happy now Thaiboxer but as they grow they will not have enough room. That's the issue. philc21 are you into tank busters? Why not look into fish that reach 8-10in that way depending on aggression you can house a few fish. There are loads and loads of SA & CA fish out there.

I agree with Davoz. After having a 55-gal for years now, it is not as big as I once thought! There are quite a few fish readily available everywhere that will get too big for a 55.

I will say that I don't plan on keeping those three in that tank for long. I'm already considering a 125, and probably would keep the same load of fish. Possibly one more, but I doubt it. I want to be responsible about them having enough space.

Back
Top Bottom