South and African Cichilds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matusewicz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can South American and African cichlids be put in the same tank 40 gallon together?

Also, all my fish have recently died of ich. I am now starting over completely, im getting new gravel soon. I just took out all of the water today but i have very small gravel and alot of it is still on the bottom and i can't scoop it up with anything. I could use a few suggestions.

I wouldn't suggest it unless its something like Jewels and South americans. You're talking to different water conditions and two differs mentalities. Not a good choice 99% of the time.

Generally no, definitely not rift lake cichlids with SAs. African riverine cichlids with SAs would be the possible exception to the "Don't do africans and SAs together" advice.

not really. maybe there are very placid cichlids on each side that could just about go... but its very much luck and chance there.

right now i have two juvie africans (1 auratus and 1 RZ) in with two oscars and an l-83. the juvies were originally four of each kind, but those 2 have been in there for 5 weeks and no chasing at all. a few times i have seen my bigger oscar bringing pellets to the RZ! and tends to sleep with it nearby, but the other 1 doesnt want to know.
that wont last long - but its quite cool for the moment :)

i had absolutely no problems with 2 rams and my buffalo cichlid a year or so ago. they were fine. but then i added the pseudocrenilabrus multicolours, and they got beaten up so i removed them.
its not the safest mix in the world, SA + As, soz :p xx

matusewicz said:
Can South American and African cichlids be put in the same tank 40 gallon together?

Also, all my fish have recently died of ich. I am now starting over completely, im getting new gravel soon. I just took out all of the water today but i have very small gravel and alot of it is still on the bottom and i can't scoop it up with anything. I could use a few suggestions.

If you haven't used sand you might give it a thought since you are changing your setup...

to pick up very small bits of gravel (i had tons before i turned to sand) i used 2 old credit cards, one to scoop one to steer the little bits. works like a charm! x

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
to pick up very small bits of gravel (i had tons before i turned to sand) i used 2 old credit cards, one to scoop one to steer the little bits. works like a charm! x

Great idea, I'm going to do that next time!

An even easier way to remove it is to use a shop vac. I picked up a tank off a guy on craigslist and it still had the gravel in it. He used a wet/dry shop vacuum and got all the gravel out of a 75g in less than a minute. Pretty slick and never thought to use it before. He dumped the shop vac out in the woods after.

I've also used heavier pieces of cardstock like a 5x7 notecard. Little more surface area than the credit cards, but I do like the shop vac idea.

meegosh said:
An even easier way to remove it is to use a shop vac. I picked up a tank off a guy on craigslist and it still had the gravel in it. He used a wet/dry shop vacuum and got all the gravel out of a 75g in less than a minute. Pretty slick and never thought to use it before. He dumped the shop vac out in the woods after.

This idea is win

Back
Top Bottom