Speaking of Rams...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

In addition to my two German Rams, I have one Gold Ram. I like its golden tone better than any other Ram I've seen.

Are Gold Rams rare? I also read somewhere that Gold Rams are actually albino versions of Germans. Is that true? The gold seems a little too intense for that to make sense.

yes, true gold rams are just a morph of blue rams... the 'gold' is actually more like a yellow. they are often pretty sensitive to water conditions, but gorgeous none the less

i have heard lately there is a super orange-y looking ram on the market... this fish is either very in bred or man made. I'd avoid it if possible, just my opinion

My lfs has yellow rams in stock right now, and I'm assuming that's the same as a golden ram? They are a really pretty yellow, not orangey. What size tank would be good for rams?

you can get away with a pair of german/blue/gold in a 10, but then i don't recommend many other fish in there as well. 20 gal and up are excellent choices for rams, but be sure you have some hiding places and well defined territories if you have more than one male. I don't recommend bolivian rams in a ten gal, I feel they are too large for that size tank. I personally havent' had too many problems with aggressive or territorial rams, but then can get a little feisty when the breed. No matter what size tank they do require super clean water. Rams seem to have a tendency to die right when you get them, so keep clean water, with a nuetral ph if possible. Acclimate them properly and try to dip acclimate if possible. HTH

I can offer advice from my own experiences, I have 4 rams currently in the 100 gal but previously had them in a 29 gal with all the fish listed below. I didn't have any problems with the exception of the rams being very territorial. I didn't see any fin nipping but they do ram each other...I guess thats where the ram name came from???

Also I would say that 80% of my lfs has the gold ram, so it seems they are becoming popular.

Hope I offered some insight.

Yes, thanks for the input. I had two german blue rams die on me a while back a few days after I bought them so I'm hesitant about getting them again. They are just such colorful fish though!

I know the Rams are really sensitive to the PH levels...mine is currently at 7.8. From the info I've read on them, they like to be around mid 6 to low 7, but mine are still going strong.

I got a pair of rams like the picture for nimbus46. I got them for $6.50 each and I was wondering if that was a good deal.

If they're healthy, i'd say yes, that's a good deal... i've paid $12 a ram, and i'd pay that again for nice, healthy fish.

I paid $10 for my first one (last one in the store), but have since found another lfs that carries them regularly (blue, long-fin & gold) for $6.

My pH is around 7.6 and I didn't have any immediate problems with them. My problems have occurred when I added additional rams. When I added 2 males to my original $10 fish ... my original one died about a week later (so I had him about 3 weeks). Then recently I added 2 females to my 2 males and one of my males died again. About the same time frame.

So, now I'm just gonna sit tight and not add any for a while. Although, I am tempted when I see those gold rams ... I thought they looked nice and added some different color to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom