Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2005, 05:09 PM   #1

Speaking of Rams...

In addition to my two German Rams, I have one Gold Ram. I like its golden tone better than any other Ram I've seen.

Are Gold Rams rare? I also read somewhere that Gold Rams are actually albino versions of Germans. Is that true? The gold seems a little too intense for that to make sense.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yes, true gold rams are just a morph of blue rams... the 'gold' is actually more like a yellow. they are often pretty sensitive to water conditions, but gorgeous none the less

i have heard lately there is a super orange-y looking ram on the market... this fish is either very in bred or man made. I'd avoid it if possible, just my opinion

Old 02-20-2005, 12:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My lfs has yellow rams in stock right now, and I'm assuming that's the same as a golden ram? They are a really pretty yellow, not orangey. What size tank would be good for rams?
Old 02-20-2005, 12:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

you can get away with a pair of german/blue/gold in a 10, but then i don't recommend many other fish in there as well. 20 gal and up are excellent choices for rams, but be sure you have some hiding places and well defined territories if you have more than one male. I don't recommend bolivian rams in a ten gal, I feel they are too large for that size tank. I personally havent' had too many problems with aggressive or territorial rams, but then can get a little feisty when the breed. No matter what size tank they do require super clean water. Rams seem to have a tendency to die right when you get them, so keep clean water, with a nuetral ph if possible. Acclimate them properly and try to dip acclimate if possible. HTH
Old 02-20-2005, 01:08 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I can offer advice from my own experiences, I have 4 rams currently in the 100 gal but previously had them in a 29 gal with all the fish listed below. I didn't have any problems with the exception of the rams being very territorial. I didn't see any fin nipping but they do ram each other...I guess thats where the ram name came from???

Also I would say that 80% of my lfs has the gold ram, so it seems they are becoming popular.

Hope I offered some insight.

100 gal: freshwater
2 green kissing gouramis, 1 red tail shark, 3 congo tetras, 3 australian rainbows, 1 rubberlip, 1 hippo, 1 green severum, 1 yellow severum, 2 german blue rams (pair), 3 giant danios, 3 silver dollars, 5 angels, 12 freshwater clams.

30 gal: 6 white mollys, 3 rummy nose, 2 german blue rams (pair), 2 red swordtails, 2 golden swordtails, 1 handicap guppy.

20 gal: fry tank of whatever (right now about 30 guppies and 100 white molly's.

10 gal: 2 german blue rams (pair)

5 gal: Basil the Betta, 2 african dwarf frogs
nimbus46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes, thanks for the input. I had two german blue rams die on me a while back a few days after I bought them so I'm hesitant about getting them again. They are just such colorful fish though!
Old 02-20-2005, 01:21 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I know the Rams are really sensitive to the PH levels...mine is currently at 7.8. From the info I've read on them, they like to be around mid 6 to low 7, but mine are still going strong.

100 gal: freshwater
2 green kissing gouramis, 1 red tail shark, 3 congo tetras, 3 australian rainbows, 1 rubberlip, 1 hippo, 1 green severum, 1 yellow severum, 2 german blue rams (pair), 3 giant danios, 3 silver dollars, 5 angels, 12 freshwater clams.

30 gal: 6 white mollys, 3 rummy nose, 2 german blue rams (pair), 2 red swordtails, 2 golden swordtails, 1 handicap guppy.

20 gal: fry tank of whatever (right now about 30 guppies and 100 white molly's.

10 gal: 2 german blue rams (pair)

5 gal: Basil the Betta, 2 african dwarf frogs
nimbus46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 09:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Drake
I got a pair of rams like the picture for nimbus46. I got them for $6.50 each and I was wondering if that was a good deal.
10 gallon-brackish, figure-eight puffer, knight goby
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 09:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If they're healthy, i'd say yes, that's a good deal... i've paid $12 a ram, and i'd pay that again for nice, healthy fish.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I paid $10 for my first one (last one in the store), but have since found another lfs that carries them regularly (blue, long-fin & gold) for $6.

My pH is around 7.6 and I didn't have any immediate problems with them. My problems have occurred when I added additional rams. When I added 2 males to my original $10 fish ... my original one died about a week later (so I had him about 3 weeks). Then recently I added 2 females to my 2 males and one of my males died again. About the same time frame.

So, now I'm just gonna sit tight and not add any for a while. Although, I am tempted when I see those gold rams ... I thought they looked nice and added some different color to the tank.

Tags
rams

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com