special needs for african chiclids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicfishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
hey guys i'm setting up a chiclid tank, my brother is giving me there 55 gallon sincce all there fish died, so i'm thinking african chiclid because of their colors, so is there any special needs they need like High PH, sand, lighting, temps, thanks for any help

they do kinda need high ph and thats all i know, also try using a lot of rocks and make a lot of caves for hiding and such b ecause they are territorial and try using terracota pots
sand would be good for a 55 gallon becuase its very cheap, i got 100 lbs of pfs for my 55 gallon tank for only 12 bucks

You are correct, Africans thrive in a higher pH. What is your tap reading?

Either sand or gravel substrates can be used, but sand is preferred. It is easier for them to move around and dig holes in.

The lighting is not a major concern but their coloration really stands out in Actinic and 50/50 light. If you have a single or double light strip, I'd go with 50/50 bulbs.

The temp is the same as tropicals. If you want to encourage breeding, bump up the temp to 78 or 79.

Do you know which Africans you are interested in? Lake Malawi or Tang?

Back
Top Bottom