Species/Stocking Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey rookie, I got some of those rocks in my tank, justt put 3 in the corner to try them out. These are easilly accessable to be and I can get as many as I want. What do you think before I go collect a hundred pounds of rocks?

As you can see, the battle for the cichlid stone begins!

Thanks

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110321_184420.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110321_184420.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 113
  • ForumRunner_20110321_184443.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110321_184443.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 113
that's a good start! Just remember to make sure they're solid. You definitely don't want them falling over and cracking the tank. Try and get some flat rock and some bulkier rock. It'll help you to make the little 'caves'.

mfdrookie516 said:
that's a good start! Just remember to make sure they're solid. You definitely don't want them falling over and cracking the tank. Try and get some flat rock and some bulkier rock. It'll help you to make the little 'caves'.

Edit: LOL answered my own question by rereading ur post.

So I did some rockwork in my tank, here's what I got so far. I'm trying to leave the hap plenty of swimming area in the front and top and generally all fish seem happier. There are tons of caves and the rocks can all be swam through. With the size rock I had, I found it difficult to get hight while still having caves and not feeling like it was going to topple over. Overall I think, its looking a lot better. Can't wait for the rocks to get some algae. Its awesome to see the fish acting like they recognize their surroundings.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110322_170307.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110322_170307.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 117
WhiteWidow11 said:
So I did some rockwork in my tank, here's what I got so far. I'm trying to leave the hap plenty of swimming area in the front and top and generally all fish seem happier. There are tons of caves and the rocks can all be swam through. With the size rock I had, I found it difficult to get hight while still having caves and not feeling like it was going to topple over. Overall I think, its looking a lot better. Can't wait for the rocks to get some algae. Its awesome to see the fish acting like they recognize their surroundings.

Ur tank looks nice, I think ima order sum of them cichlid rocks for my tank also because I used granite rocks too and I don't want them to fall,so I think I will stack the artificial cichlid rocks when I order them

Bigtay said:
Ur tank looks nice, I think ima order sum of them cichlid rocks for my tank also because I used granite rocks too and I don't want them to fall,so I think I will stack the artificial cichlid rocks when I order them

Yeah I actually just ordered 15 of them for the top row. What's great about the cichlid stones is they are hollow and lightweight so I will use them for the top. Got them for $60 at LFS.

Thank you for the comments, this is my first attempt at rockwork and have only had fish for 5 months or so.

WhiteWidow11 said:
Yeah I actually just ordered 15 of them for the top row. What's great about the cichlid stones is they are hollow and lightweight so I will use them for the top. Got them for $60 at LFS.

Thank you for the comments, this is my first attempt at rockwork and have only had fish for 5 months or so.

Well u r doin a great job and welcome to the fish world,lol, I love my fish to death,I look at them like their my kids,my wife gets jealous sumtimes cause I can't stop lookin at my tank,but I want my tank to look like a show tank so I keep adding new things to it,them cichlids stones is next,this is an great hobby

Bigtay said:
Well u r doin a great job and welcome to the fish world,lol, I love my fish to death,I look at them like their my kids,my wife gets jealous sumtimes cause I can't stop lookin at my tank,but I want my tank to look like a show tank so I keep adding new things to it,them cichlids stones is next,this is an great hobby

Haha my girlfriend helps me when we do a decore change and water changes, she names all the fish and of course, feeds them lol

Speaking of the girlfriend, I let her pick out a fish yesterday to "celebrate" the fact that our tank is now MUCH better and harmonious with all the rock in it.

I was told its some sort of peacock, but she liked it due to its pinkish/red colors and white face. I think the fish is pretty cool myself. Any idea on species? Adult tank requirements? Hopefully we made a good purchase.

Sent from my Droid using Aquarium

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110325_153106.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110325_153106.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 77
  • ForumRunner_20110325_153139.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110325_153139.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 79
So I finished out my stock list with a red top cobalt blue red zebra (I think). Fish is beautiful!

Sent from my Droid using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom