Specific name and gender for cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In general auratus are aggressive. Not all fish are the same but I will bet that once he gets bigger things will change

Agreed mines wasn't the most dominant in my tank but was the most aggressive. With my red zebra being tank boss the auratus jus cahsed all the other fish more.

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

@cecil2010 the egg spots is a penis proof- when's the female is holding she will see dot and be attracted to it she will bite it a sperm will shoot out to fertilize the eggs.

This could not be more wrong. The egg spots are NOT the fishes penis. They are used to mimic the females eggs so that when the female is picking up her eggs she will think that these spots are eggs and try pick them up. As she is trying to pick the eggs up the male releases the sperm from his SPERM DUCT not his egg spots.

Please research before saying things like this

This could not be more wrong. The egg spots are NOT the fishes penis. They are used to mimic the females eggs so that when the female is picking up her eggs she will think that these spots are eggs and try pick them up. As she is trying to pick the eggs up the male releases the sperm from his SPERM DUCT not his egg spots.

Please research before saying things like this

+1 :) well said

You guys seem very knowledgeable upon these cichlids so I have another question if you don't mind. I am looking to add another fish or two or so here in the next couple days as long as my water is healthy. I understand that these cichlids are meant to be their species only but yet I have seen some exceptions. So are tthere any compatible bottom feeders or top tank swimmers that would get along well even if the cichlids become aggressive some point in time?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What about clown plecos or loaches. Also interested in rainbow sharks?

What about clown plecos or loaches. Also interested in rainbow sharks?

I have commonly seen loaches kept with cichlids. Except I'd be cautious as they don't posses the spines that the Synodontis catfish posses which have a serrated edge for protection. And with the pleco I find that if you have one that is large then the cichlids them self it works out. I did keep one with cichlids that were similar size and he got beat up pretty bad even though he had aromred plates. I also noticed that the pleco became very aggressive towards any of the cichlids that came near him.

I would go for a Synodontis species over a loach. I have 3 large feather fun Synodontis in my community tank and they never bother and other fish. Every now and then my largest 9 inch chases my slightly smaller Synodontis which is about 6-7 inches but they never harm each other. Make sure that you have some places for them to hide. Like some caves where it is dark.

Back
Top Bottom