Spitting fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheGrza

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a yellow lab who's been holding since Feb 25. Just removed her and put her in a half gallon fry tank while I clean the main tank. Should I coax her into spitting her fry in there (if so how)?

You should strip her. A month is long enough for the fry to be free swimming. This is how I strip mine: I put 2" of tank water into a 5gal (or 2.5 gal) bucket. Add the holding fish. Gently grasp her in your left hand, head facing to your right hand. Get a paper clip (use the rounded bent edge, not where the wire is cut) or a plastic spoon turned upside down. Keep the fish in the water, and gently pry open her mouth. Fry should immediately swim out. You can give the mom a little jiggle to coax the fry out. Depending on her size she could have 5-40 babies in there. good luck!

I would give it a try, she might swallow them. I had to do this with my Kenni a few years back. Hold her in your hand and then take a tooth pick and push down her lower lip. Be easy with her as she will wiggle. After a few try's they should swim right out

Touchdown!!! I got 15 out of her. She started looking stressed so I put her back in the tank. She might have a few more in there.

image-703325273.jpg

Thanks guys

I believe the mother still has a few in her mouth but I'll let her spit those in the main tank.

image-4109748460.jpg

Here's another shot of the babies

I had to start letting mine spit them on her own. I am so overstocked with yellow labs right now, I'm trying to give them away.

I had to start letting mine spit them on her own. I am so overstocked with yellow labs right now, I'm trying to give them away.

I have 3 20 gallon tanks full of fry. My lfs gives me a buck a peice for 1" fry. I have roughly 200 fry so it will be a nice pay day!

Back
Top Bottom