Sponge filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is the model and specs on the powerhead (make, model,flow rate)? It is the pro V and Not the regular V? The density of the sponge is different. The filter comes with the two piece strainer so your okay as far as that goes. Can you take a pick of the collapsing sponge?

Angels Plus sells sponge filters that are active and already loaded with the BB. You just run an airline to it an secure it to glass with the magnet included. They say you can add fish right away with it but I was skeptical. I let it run couple days and added fish with zero problems. Been about 8 weeks doing partial water changes weekly and I'm zero ammonia and nitrite with 20 nitrate. Link below. Scroll down to ACTIVE.

http://www.angelsplus.com/FiltersSponge.htm.

First , What are the specs on the powerhead? Make model, flow rate

That looks like a Hydro Sponge#5 not a #5 Pro. The pro is usually black in color and the sponge is a little coarser.
displayhydrosponge.jpg

You are using the base and spacer on the bottom correct?

How long is the lift tube? 5"

Try this, remove the bullseye and lift tube. Insert Powerhead directly into strainer. See if it still collapses. You may have too much flow (thus my first question). If it doesn't collapse, insert the lift tube directly into strainer and then the powerhead onto the lift tube.

Looks like they sent me regular sponge not pro

image-3015160640.jpg

I would think it would collapse as soon as i started pump takes few hours

It is too much flow for the sponge. The largest I have ever used on a sponge (filter max II) is a 174 gph powerhead but as an auxiliary filter only. I think the max for a regular #5 would be under 200 gph.

Try and get a replacement Pro 5 sponge and try that. you can also order one more Pro5 sponge, one strainer set, and one Step. Stack the two on top of each other. Or use one #5 and one #5 pro stacked.
hydrosponge5stackable.jpg

This will spread your head pressure over a wider surface area in each sponge. This should work!

I find the hydro pro sponges falling apart after a few months. I'm going to try and Angel's Plus replacements to see if they last longer.

Back
Top Bottom