Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Spots on fin? Or normal markings?

I'm new here and new to the hobby. The people here have given some great advice and helped me get through a tough fish in cycle and I thank everyone for there help.

That being said I have a question. Most of my Africans are now displaying spots or markings on there back fin. I took some pictures. Is this anything to worry about? A friend of mine said ich... I'm not so sure after reading up on it. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachment 62001

Attachment 61997

Attachment 61994

Attachment 61991

Attachment 61990

Do you see the spots on the fin? Most have it and the other don't. Anything?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

These spots are perfectly normal.Most mbuna's have these spots.In many species of mbuna it is a way of telling the sex of the fish.males tend to have more of these spots than females.They are called egg spots and the female will think these are eggs and chase after them.The male will then release his sperm and hey presto fertilisation takes place.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfy
These spots are perfectly normal.Most mbuna's have these spots.In many species of mbuna it is a way of telling the sex of the fish.males tend to have more of these spots than females.They are called egg spots and the female will think these are eggs and chase after them.The male will then release his sperm and hey presto fertilisation takes place.
Whew... Good to know! Thanks for the education as well!

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com