Stacked 40b build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vance1013

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've recently set up 2x 40b to expand my horizons, so to speak. I wanted to beable to keep different fish but was limited on space. I picked up to 40b to start with. Got my rack system setup and tanks in place. The top 40b is up and running and about halfway through its cycle. The bottom 40b is currently empty. I had a heater issue with my 55 so I need the heater, I originally got for the 40b. So on that note I got one free from a friend so ill being testing that one out soon. The plans for stock are as follows.

Top 40b:
6x herostilapia multispinosa also know as archocentrus multispinosus (rainbow cichlid) I'm getting them as juvies to grow out for a pair.

6x xiphophorus helleri

Bottom 40b:
These are going to be hard to find.
6x archocentrus spinosissimus same as before juvie growout.

6x xiphophorus clemenciae

I'm partial to Central American cichlids and livebears particularly swordtails.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For filtration I am running 2 diy sponge filter, I'm actually quite happy with how they turned out.
Here is my test results from beginning up to friday

4/9/15
Ph 6.8 ammonia 0ppm nitrite 0ppm nitrate 0ppm I did a filter squeeze from a seeded sponge filter and dosed to 4ppm ammonia

4/17/15
1st test after dosing
Ph 6.8 ammonia 4ppm
nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm

4/22/15 2nd test Ph 6.8
Ammonia 2-4ppm
Nitrite 2ppm
Nitrate 5ppm

4/27/15 3rd test ph 6.8
Ammonia .50 ppm
Nitrite 4-5ppm
Nitrate 10ppm
Dosed ammonia back to 4ppm

5/1/15 4th test Ph 6.8
Ammonia .50 ppm
Nitrite 5ppm
Nitrate 10ppm
Dosed ammonia back to 4ppm

Ill be testing again either tonight or tomorrow.

5/4/15 5th test Ph 6.4
Ammonia .25 ppm
Nitrite 5ppm
Nitrate 10ppm

I'm doing a 75% water change to buffer my Ph back up. Then dosing ammonia back to 4ppm

Does anybody on here have any personal experience, with archocentrus spinosissimus that would like to share. Also any hints on where I could locate some.

Does anybody on here have any personal experience, with archocentrus spinosissimus that would like to share. Also any hints on where I could locate some.

Two members on here would be good to talk to...Mogurako (who I think you may already know) and HUKIT

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yup I do know mog he's who gave me the idea for archocentrus multispinosus. ill have to shoot hukit a pm. And shoot mog a text.

HUKIT hasn't been on in a while, Mog may be able to reach him for you

HUKIT hasn't been on in a while, Mog may be able to reach him for you

Explains why I wasn't able to send him a pm. I'll have to ask mog then. Thank you for the heads up

Update. So I've had this happen everytime I've done fishless cycling. My ph is soft right around 6.8. So during the nitrite spike my ph bottoms out to 6.0,
so I tested an idea I had to help with this issue. I used baking soda to help replenish the alkalinity in the water and bring the ph up along with putting a piece of coral in the tank as well.

5/6/15 6th test
Ph 6.0
Ammonia 0.25ppm
Nitrite 2-5 ppm
Nitrate 20ppm
I added the coral and a few pinches of baking soda. Also dose ammonia back to 4ppm

5/7/15 7th test Ph 6.4
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 2-5ppm
Nitrate 40ppm
Dosed ammonia and added some more baking soda

5/9/15 8th test Ph 6.6
Ammonia 0.50ppm
Nitrite 5ppm
Nitrate 80ppm
Added a little bit more baking soda and dosed ammonia

Ill be testing again tonight to see where I'm at.

Well things change. These 2 tanks are starting to turn into livebearer tanks. I'm hopes of selling what I breed. The bottom 40 has a nice guppy colony growing, I plan to add shrimp eventually.. The top I'm working on tearing it apart and restarting it as a full planted, swordtail tank. Pictures coming soon.

Back
Top Bottom