starter fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leehunter

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys. I'm in the process of changing my tank to cichlids. It 33gallon. And I know it on the small side for this but its a starter tank and by March ol have a 60gallon.

In the meantime I want to get my stock going and giving from young fish. What would you recommend and HOW MANY?

I want to go down the African Malawi route as I love a lot of their colours.

How many should I get as I know the 1in per gallon rule gets thrown out for these fish to inhibit their territory and spread any aggression?

Any help will be appricated

Anybody?

Can someone please help with any advice? Thankou

Tank is too small for most mbuna, but yellow labs are good starters with maybe some red and blue zebra for added color but like I said that size tank is too small for the fish I named.

At the moment most of the fish I will eh getting are 2-4cm. But I want them to grow together. And in 3 months I know they will grow. But I would rather get some now to establish everything and a community.

At the moment most of the fish I will eh getting are 2-4cm. But I want them to grow together. And in 3 months I know they will grow. But I would rather get some now to establish everything and a community.

That might make it harder to add new ones later. It's recommended to stock them all at once. It's hard to say if you'll get away with it, it's all up to you. :)

To be honest I did start out with a small tank b/c I didn't have the right knowledge but over time I learned and upgraded so I say go for it and do extra water changes and take extra care and watch for aggression.

T dwarf cichlids or rams good small fish non aggressive

I would like Malawi as they're colourful. Had Bolivia's and found them ok but want more.

You absolutely want to place all the fish in at the same time and let them grow up together, otherwise there's going to be problems. BUT, what I'm thinking is even if the fish have a 3 or 4 month start in the smaller tank before transferring to a larger tank wouldn't the fact that the larger tank is a new environment allow you to add new additions and all of the guys get along (providing a good rock cave habitat for hiding and establishing territories)? I mean, if it will work, Yellow Labs are by far one of the best choices considering they are less aggressive than most mbuna.
Just a thought that came into my mind when I was reading this thread.

I have a well established mbuna tank with mature adults. If I want to add a fish I do! BUT, it's gotta be a baby...1" or less. Otherwise the adults attack. If I add them as babies the adults dont care one bit and will leave them alone.

Yeah all fish Im looking at are around an inch anyway. I just to get them in and settled into their environment whilst my supplier has some excellent examples.

If I was to out some in this how many could I until I upgrade?

Thanks

I feel like its hit or miss with adding new tank mates. I've had had success, and other times like a male kenyi who didn't get accepted and was terrorized.

I think that it would work if you were to have juveniles. There would be less aggression, and you may be able to set up a portion of your stock in that aquarium.

Then, I would add the other fish to the 60 gallon for a day or two before adding the set community, to even out the playing field.

Back
Top Bottom