Starter Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Watch your tude, bro. I was asking because it was new info for me, and i was curious... All i wanted was explanation and a possible source so i could possibly learn something. You gotta chill a lil man... Your not the only one out there that has been "doing this for a while now". Smile, man. Your face wont crack.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

All I did was re-word my original post. I'm sorry you felt there was 'tude behind it. If a good majority of everything I said on these forms was not questions or disputed I wouldn't be so sharp with my responses..

And I never said I was the only one with experience in the hobby, sometimes I just feel as it's necessary to provide credentials as I am constantly met with either disbelief, shock, or fallacy.

Most of all my original responses on every thread are offering valuable informative information. Sorry I have offended you..

Well I've been doing this awhile and know what minimizes aggression and know why it does. As I mentioned above more current decreases territory sizes and provides more territory around turns and caves. Currents are now also available to smaller quicker moving fish to use as they avoid aggression..

I'm sure a mere google search would yield you someone else explaining it if you feel I wasn't a reputable enough of a source.

Well since we are trying to see who's is bigger... I've been doing this for 25 years and I'm ranked a master cichlid breeding in one of the countries largest clubs and having bred some of the largest and most aggressive new world cichlids along with nearly 50 species of old world fish so with that in mind what you've said is the most ignorant statement I've read lately! Flow has NOTHING to do with reducing aggression. This type of fish claim territory so having a increase in flow will do nothing to stop predation or aggression. As Mike pointed out the most important factor besides the largest foot print is the tank arrangement such as breaks in the line of sight and creating separate areas on opposite sides of the tank for fish to claim. Your statement reminds me of this...

Well since we are trying to see who's is bigger... I've been doing this for 25 years and I'm ranked a master cichlid breeding in one of the countries largest clubs and having bred some of the largest and most aggressive new world cichlids along with nearly 50 species of old world fish so with that in mind what you've said is the most ignorant statement I've read lately! Flow has NOTHING to do with reducing aggression. This type of fish claim territory so having a increase in flow will do nothing to stop predation or aggression. As Mike pointed out the most important factor besides the largest foot print is the tank arrangement such as breaks in the line of sight and creating separate areas on opposite sides of the tank for fish to claim. Your statement reminds me of this...

Class dismissed!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So thats why i havent heard of that method.... May god have mercy on the soul, and you get awarded no points. Well played HUKIT, well played.

[emoji23]

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

You've been around for 25 years and just made a claim flow has nothing to do with territory and aggression. It's official I've gone crazy with this crap.

Now we have more kooks who think flow has nothing to do at all with fish aggression. Wow just wow. Good job man. Doing the hobby and industry well.

You've been around for 25 years and just made a claim flow has nothing to do with territory and aggression. It's official I've gone crazy with this crap.

Now we have more kooks who think flow has nothing to do at all with fish aggression. Wow just wow. Good job man. Doing the hobby and industry well.

It doesn't. maybe with salt water setups but not with cichlids. You are in a loosing battle here. Leave it go. HUKIT is well known here. Its people like you that have caused all the knowledgeable cichlid people to leave over the years.

It doesn't. maybe with salt water setups but not with cichlids. You are in a loosing battle here. Leave it go. HUKIT is well known here. Its people like you that have caused all the knowledgeable cichlid people to leave over the years.

I'm all for a debate but you guys should just start a thread and use actual sources to prove your points instead of arguing here.

Wont be long before a moderator cleans up this thread as well.

Caleb

I'm all for a debate but you guys should just start a thread and use actual sources to prove your points instead of arguing here.

Wont be long before a moderator cleans up this thread as well.

Caleb

Good point Caleb. Because what I'm getting out of the flow statement is good flow will curb aggression. My last aggression problem was with a salvini and a texas. The flow in the tank was high enough that if it were filled all the way water would spill over the top. The salvini never let up. I had to rehome it. So Reefer if you have links with long term proof I would gladly read them.

Do you know how to exchange ideas, thoughts, and experience without being rude, one sighted, or without intent to seem "god like" in this hobby. You sir need to stop being combative. What works for you is great. It can have facts to prove it works. but with this hobby, as we all know, there isnt just one way. I struggled with this a bit when i first joined. But i stepped back and took a deep breathe and adjusted to the forum community life. You should try doing the same. I come across alot of your posts and your generally rude, condescending, and one sighted. You also dont like hearing anything that doesnt follow your norm and respond with total childish tantrums. Quit being a donkey and join the community....

I breed several old/new world cichlids. have had a tank since i was born, as my parents love the hobby as well. So im not without my experience.

Also, HUKIT has great info. And he hasnt steered me wrong yet when i take what ive read from him and applied.

This makes a couple posts reefer james has inserted his opinion as outright fact. I think your a fairly knowledgeable guy RJ but go easy claiming things as fact without proof. I've watched a few of your SW debates mirror this thread entirely. And seriously lose the holier than thou attitude.

I definitely agree with Mike. More rock work will help to curb aggression and territorial ism greatly

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Personally I would increase the rock work by 10 fold.
Example (not my picture)
rock-your-world-cichlid-tank.jpg

+1 mike. (y)

I do this in all my african tanks. Works well.

Okay let's open the discussion. Let's just take a very common species. Angelfish. Water movement is one the biggest factors of these fishes lives. Can I get some discussion on how perhaps adding more water flow in with these fish would change how they swam about the tank? Does anyone not see how this could change territory and open up routes around tank decorations that fish could now use.. This is not a saltwater thing... This is a concept of water motion between our aquariums.

HUKIT Will absolutely agree with me that fish behavior can be described differently depending on their tank set-up and who else is in there and the order they were put even. Part of a tank set-up happens to be water movement.

Why am I being tossed around as some idiot shouting opinionated fact when if we just thought about what I said we would all understand it. There's no need for some laboratory to perform a study for this one guys...

Okay let's open the discussion. Let's just take a very common species. Angelfish. Water movement is one the biggest factors of these fishes lives. Can I get some discussion on how perhaps adding more water flow in with these fish would change how they swam about the tank? Does anyone not see how this could change territory and open up routes around tank decorations that fish could now use.. This is not a saltwater thing... This is a concept of water motion between our aquariums.

HUKIT Will absolutely agree with me that fish behavior can be described differently depending on their tank set-up and who else is in there and the order they were put even. Part of a tank set-up happens to be water movement.

Why am I being tossed around as some idiot shouting opinionated fact when if we just thought about what I said we would all understand it. There's no need for some laboratory to perform a study for this one guys...

I absolutely, dont think your an idiot. That was never implyed by me at all. Ive had a convo or 2 with you abt me possibly doing my first SW. I listened. I asked questions. im still learning with all my tanks every day. I was implying you should check the way you go about it. Im in no ways great, or an expert, or a master. Coming here has been humbling and good for me. As it has taught me abt a whole new spectrum of this hobby. I had to adjust, much like im asking you to do. Thats all. Never said or implyed your an idiot.... Not my style anymore. ? we'll all listen. Its why were here. Just help us wanna listen. Come on in.... The waters nice, and th fish are here. Lol

I absolutely, dont think your an idiot. That was never implyed by me at all. Ive had a convo or 2 with you abt me possibly doing my first SW. I listened. I asked questions. im still learning with all my tanks every day. I was implying you should check the way you go about it. Im in no ways great, or an expert, or a master. Coming here has been humbling and good for me. As it has taught me abt a whole new spectrum of this hobby. I had to adjust, much like im asking you to do. Thats all. Never said or implyed your an idiot.... Not my style anymore. ? we'll all listen. Its why were here. Just help us wanna listen. Come on in.... The waters nice, and th fish are here. Lol

Couldn't have said it better myself.

It frustrates me when people get defensive over little things. It's like you hit a brick wall with them of "it's my way and only mine is correct". IMO to me, to be a good fish keeper you need to be open minded to the opinions of others. Are they correct? Not always... But it's good to at least have an ear to listen.

Caleb

It seems like once one person who has thousands of posts says one thing about what I say they now get quoted and defended.

This thread is a great example of people jumping on to use this opportunity because they think I'm wrong. It's not a battle of who's bigger. It's a matter of providing accurate information for the lives of our animals.

Does anyone feel as though I've given information that a user could not use to make determinations for their own tank?

Just because i'm the one talking about methods off the "popular routes" does not mean I need to get reactions like this from fellow forum members. There are instances were I am reading posts where the information is absolutely wrong. 5-10ppm nitrate being toxic to seawater inverts is a great example of a recent one.

There are countless examples of aquarist, sometimes ones who no experience what so ever in that area of aquarium keeping, shouting out advice.

I know that's the beauty of forms is getting everyones opinions but we have to step back and realize we're posting about live animals.

I apologize for having a sharp personality and writing direct to the point-responses. Read the information I post without a tone behind it and don't just assume I'm trying to start an argument. It feels like all my posts are being read as if I'm yelling. That is not the case.

It's just start to the point sentences...

It seems like once one person who has thousands of posts says one thing about what I say they now get quoted and defended.

This thread is a great example of people jumping on to use this opportunity because they think I'm wrong. It's not a battle of who's bigger. It's a matter of providing accurate information for the lives of our animals.

Does anyone feel as though I've given information that a user could not use to make determinations for their own tank?

Just because i'm the one talking about methods off the "popular routes" does not mean I need to get reactions like this from fellow forum members. There are instances were I am reading posts where the information is absolutely wrong. 5-10ppm nitrate being toxic to seawater inverts is a great example of a recent one.

There are countless examples of aquarist, sometimes ones who no experience what so ever in that area of aquarium keeping, shouting out advice.

I know that's the beauty of forms is getting everyones opinions but we have to step back and realize we're posting about live animals.

I apologize for having a sharp personality and writing direct to the point-responses. Read the information I post without a tone behind it and don't just assume I'm trying to start an argument. It feels like all my posts are being read as if I'm yelling. That is not the case.

It's just start to the point sentences...

I don't see how added flow would help over more territory?? If anything it's going to limit the usable space for non current seeking fish and condense these fish into a smaller area of lower flow?? You can run but you can't hide theory? I'd bet on hiding in these cases, more territory and hidey holes will surely aid in less aggression. granted I keep dwarf cichlids, they're still little Jerks most of the time, they always pick a hide behind a plant to "get out of sight" vs. a game of chicken in front of the powerhead. I do not think your misinformed, you seem rather knowledgable actually, just not seeing a ton of examples or info. to back up your claims. When making any claims on angels I'd certainly invite andy into the discussion;) cichlids I'd never scoff at Hukits either. Seems big personalities but heads on here alot. Maybe you guys should hop.in fast flowing river to cool down that aggression.. or seek a cool cave.. whichever you'd prefer;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay absolutely priority number one big enough foot print of tank for the fish and the right amount of driftwood/rock/or whatever you choose. This is the most important area to aid in aggression.

If these are in place already, additional water movement can help put certain aggression at bay. It is no solution to the small foot-print but it is something we can do for the animals.

I admit I was quite defensive and could have supported this better and more polite. I guess I too read posts with tones behind them..

And you're on point when you say limits useable space. More or less that is one thing flow achieves. It can also make more useable space with some interpretations. It all depends on specific fish/decorations/tanks/etc.. That is the beautiful thing about this hobby is there are so so so so so many correct ways to do it.

I was avoiding all this like the plague, but my point is going to be that if you make a claim that goes against the norm, be prepared to provide sources, examples, literature, etc to back up your claims. Saying to do a google search does not back up your claims and makes it sound like you haven't properly researched said claim before you promoted it as a "well known" trick. With that being said, can we all drop this, and get back to the thread? Please?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom