Starting Mbuna Tank Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrolfAddict93

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok i just recently picked up a 75 gallon tank as my first tank. After a little bit of research iv decided I want mbuna chichlids. For these what should i do for a setup.

Currently i have a double bio-wheel HOB and Fluval 404 canister filter
and a heater.

Do I need gravel or sand? If sand I've heard mixed reviews on black blasting sand. I like the idea of the black so the fish's colors pop.

Also where do i get slate to build some caves and rock formation?

Any other tips would be awesome since this is my tank I am a newbie. What else do I need for this tank?

Should I have some bottom feeders?

Awesome! So the black sand looks great - I wish I went that route but went with an aragonite sand that's nice too. Pool filter sNd works and is cheap. Gravel lets poop get into the crannies. Sand will prevent that And if you use a power head it will keep poo from even settling on sand and get it into your filter intake tubes. Trust me with mbuna no food makes it to the bottom or goes uneaten so no need for bottom feeders. A smaller pleco that maxes out around 4 inch can help keep tank nice and clean. Slate can be found at Home Depot or any landscape supply. Also look into river rock it's nice too. The more rock the better! Good luck!

well i dont have a powerhead but my canister filter has an output could i aim it to lightly blow the poop up into the intake?

It's preference lots of people don't use them. Just keep up on your water changes and cleaning and you will have no worries! What are you thinking about putting in there once its ready?

Get a powerhead will help in the long run to move that poop away & keep no dead spots below

I'm a big fan of my power head. Keeps the temp perfect, always stirring up floating matter along the bottom, and the fish love to swim against the current.

Powerheads are nice but if you tank is scaped really heavy then it likely won't do to much. I have lots and lots of rock in my tank and my water pump didn't really help but blow poop into the rocks.

As for the substrate any sand you pick will be better than gravel. I use pool filter sand it looks nice has a natural tab color to it.

For finding rock any landscape company should do. I got red lava boulders and broke them to create massive rock piles. But they should carry large pieces of slate that you can break into pieces that you can put into the tank.

Powerheads are nice but if you tank is scaped really heavy then it likely won't do to much. I have lots and lots of rock in my tank and my water pump didn't really help but blow poop into the rocks.

As for the substrate any sand you pick will be better than gravel. I use pool filter sand it looks nice has a natural tab color to it.

For finding rock any landscape company should do. I got red lava boulders and broke them to create massive rock piles. But they should carry large pieces of slate that you can break into pieces that you can put into the tank.

So what I do is I have a small power head I don't keep in tank that's plug in and I use toI blow it between all the rocks as a hand tool right before water change. It gets all gunk up and into the filters or I vacuum it out.

Back
Top Bottom