Starting my 55gal yay!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Big.Jon said:
Ya they are covered with two hoods and all inserts are out so there is plenty of open area in the back. I also just thought of another reason. I have a dehumidifer in the room not sure why I didn't think about that lol.

Yea that would explain most of it lol

Excitement finally fully cycled!! Only took 15 days. So lastw night did the large pwc. This morning numbers were great.
0 ammonia
0 nitrIte
5-10 nitrAte ( much better than my 10gal which always seems to be at almost 40ppm.)
So been slowy acclimating my two fish to the big temp jump 76 - (80-82). They are now in there new much better size tank. There behavior is a little strange though they were almost enemies in the other tank, not really but the kenyi would not let the what I am pretty sure is a socolofi near him is now following him or her around the tank for the past hour "like what the **** is this place".

Tank is still doing great got my rocks where I want them. Numbers are perfect. Stocking so far is slow going can't find the fish I want. Have 1 male 1 female kenyi, and a socolofi in here so far. Hoping to get 3 more female kenyi and so more socolofi very soon. Wandering when I can take out the ugly castle. The castle was my large piece of seeding material. Also going to pull the ugly bubble wand out, just need to go grab another long bubbly stone.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110630_123224.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110630_123224.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 81
  • ForumRunner_20110630_123329.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110630_123329.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 80
Looks great so far. Have you had any problems with the rocks toppling over, or are they secured somehow?

One thought to test if you're ready to pull the castle out is to take it and put it into another tank to keep the bacteria alive, and keep a very close eye on the water parameters for a few days. If ammo/nitrites spike, put it back in. Not sure how much ammo two kenyi and a socolofi will be producing though, so you might not get an accurate picture.

Sounds like a good idea for testing. Have not had any problems yet with the rocks. Had a big oh duh moment before adding fish I had only layed the rocks on top of the substrate. I now have the bottom lined with nice rough flat rocks that way they don't dig them out. Other than that they are only held up by gravity but seem nice and sturdy took alot of rearranging to get em set tight.

So Finally have added some fish this last Friday.
Stocking
5 Kenyi 1 Male 4 Female
2 Socolofi 1 male 1 female
4 OB red zebra 1 male 3 female
I am really loving these fish last few days have been kinda rough watching them figure things out. My male Kenyi (Ben) is the big boss and he can very quickly put all the others into the corner, and did so for the first day constantly. At first I was a little concerned so I pulled him out for about 8 hrs. It was neat to watch the change in the tank, and how the male Socolofi (Jerry) instantly jumped into his shoes as dominate male. After putting him back in, Ben and Jerry had a nice long battle, but they seemed squared away and Jerry has backed himself off the hierarchy. He still has been doing plenty of pushing around, but is letting everyone pretty much go anywhere they wanna go except for near the cave he has been working on endlessly for a week or so.

Nice list, now just add a few more socolofi ladies and watch ole Jerry to make sure he doesn't get to rough.

I've been using the time out tank for years to calm hyper aggressive fish, it rarely fails in africans but central/south americans are another topic.

Back
Top Bottom