Starting new cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mgallimore

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm going to have a new 37 gallon freshwater tank and want to have cichlids. It's been a few years since I've had an aquarium and I'd appreciate any advice on setup and fish to look for or to avoid. I like the look of the African cichlids best, and hope to get 4 or 5 pairs of different types (red/blue/yellow peacocks, bumblebee, etc). Thoughts?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578 3730 23554&pcatid=23554

That's the setup I'll have. Should the filter and thermostat that come with it be sufficient for 8-10 cichlids (small size of course)?

Mgallimore said:
I'm going to have a new 37 gallon freshwater tank and want to have cichlids. It's been a few years since I've had an aquarium and I'd appreciate any advice on setup and fish to look for or to avoid. I like the look of the African cichlids best, and hope to get 4 or 5 pairs of different types (red/blue/yellow peacocks, bumblebee, etc). Thoughts?

Meant to add, it'll be the Marineland 37 gallon bio-wheel LED setup. Should the filter and thermostat that come with the kit be sufficient?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578 3730 23554&pcatid=23554

Thanks.

Thanks.

What if I replace the 200 filter with the next size up, the 350? Also, what is a better base, gravel or sand? Thanks for your suggestions.

Tall tanks don't work out very well for the species ya named. The tank is only 30" long and 12" wide and really doesn't supply enough bottom area to supply adequate hidin' places. Those fish are also harem breeders. If possible ya wanna have a ratio of 1 male to 3-4 females for each species. Keepin' pairs usually results in a female that hides all the time, is beat up and malnourished.

For that tank your best bet is really angelfish and a small group of dwarf cichlids. Not Africans, but they will do better in that tank.

Ya could also go with Lake Tanganyikan cichlids, rather than the Lake Malawi cichlids ya like. They tend to stay a bit smaller than a lot of Malawi cichlids, many form breeding pairs, and they are on the whole less agressive. A pair of either a Neolamprologus species, Julidochromis species or one of the larger Telmatochromis species, mixed with a group of six shell-dwelling cichlids would work. You could throw in a small school of barbs to round things out and provide some movement in the upper and middle regions of the tank.

Regardless, that filter is not adequate for that tank with the fish yer lookin' at.

I noticed ya said that's the tank yer gonna have. Have ya ordered it yet? If not, ya may be better off waitin' for Petco or PetSmart to have a $1 per gallon sale, especially if ya have yer heart set on the cichlids ya named. Ya could get a 55 gallon tank for $55, or a 40 gallon breeder for $40. I order a lotta supplies from Big Al's On-line, because they offer good deals and free shipping on orders over $75. Ya could order a properly-sized filter, a good heater and a canopy and still probably come out spending less than the $159 + S&H yer sending Dr. Foster and Smith's.

WYite

Thank you for your detailed responses. I had already ordered the tank (delivered today), so I will post pictures and details after it's set up. I will definitely take your suggestions to heart, especially regarding the filter. If any more ideas come to mind, please feel free to share.

Back
Top Bottom