Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2016, 01:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Starting up a Cichlids tank

Hi,
Iam currently running a 200 ltr tank with some cardinal tetras in it. I would love to have some cichlids buy don't know where to start.
My PH is 7.4 and I have lose gravel on the bottom. Nitrate, Nitrites ect is fine. What type of cichlids and how many would be best suited to my tank ? Are there any other things I have to factor in ?

Old 04-04-2016, 09:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, for starters, most types of cichlids won't be compatible with your tetras. Beyond that, what type of cichlids are you looking for? With your PH, I'd recommend S Amer cichlids, but it would help to know what you're looking for with a bit more specifics, before anyone can really advise you. With your tank size, oscars, jaguars, Jack Dempseys, and the larger cichlids are pretty much ruled out already. Many beginning cichlid keepers like convicts and firemouths for their ease of care and adaptability to a wide range of parameters. If you go with either of these, or fish of a similar size, I would limit the tank to 6-7 fish.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:04 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi thanks for the advice. Iam happy to let the tetras go. I was thinking about some dwarf cichlids but not to sure if they would be suited to by PH. Have also seen some Pseudotropheus Salousi . But once again not sure if they would suit the PH or the size of the tank.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have african tetras living with Malawi cichlids. I think Malawi"s will eat neon tetra. African tetra is very fast.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Starting up a Cichlids tank

Cleithracara maronii
Pelvicachromis sp (pulcher, etc)
Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, altispinosa
Apistogramma species (cacatuoides, agassizzi, borelli, etc)
Nannacara anomala
Ivanacara adoketa
Nanochromis
Crenicichla dwarves (caution should be used still)
Cryptoheros (nanoluteus, spilurus, sajica, etc.)

Just a few to get your research started

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tags
cichlid, cichlids, ich, star, start, starting, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com