Stock ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

notenoughtanks

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I have a 55 gal African tank .. Just recently got my old 75 gal from my moms , was going to move 55 stock to 75 .. Now ?? Is what to put in 55 ????? Was thinking about some S/A , C/A to put in there ... Want to stay under the 6 inch mark so I get get a nice group of fish in there , and not do another "wet pet" such as green terror / (oscar , already have one in my other 75) .. Although I've seen 2 green terrors in a 55 it just wouldn't be fair ... So bring the ideas on ..

Tank info

Standard 55 gal dimensions

Water levels

PH 7.5-7.8 tap water is around 6.5

Hardness around 10 tap water same

Nitrite -0

Nitrate - 0

Temp 78-80

Filtration

(2) aqueon 70 @ 400gal per hr each

125gal Waiting for C/A cichlids , 55gal African Cichlids , 75gal "wet pet "oscar , 75 gal empty setting up for ????10gal & 56gal column cycled but no stock

Planted angelfish tank, with rummy nose as dither fish and maybe a pair of Rams. Maybe some bottom dwellers.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advic

How about some peaceful south americans.

A group Mikrogeophagus altispinosus(Bolivan Ram) - Peaceful, gregarious - bottom
Angelfish - Somewhat peaceful - mid water swimming
Various laetacara species - varies
Cleithracara maronii(keyhole cichlid) - Very peaceful - midwater swimming
Aequidens metae(Yellow Acara) - Somewhat peaceful - bottom/midlevel swimming

Obviously, you can't put all those in a single 55 together but if there are some of those that you like we can build a stocklist around them. Also, most of the above cichlids can be kept with other SA fish such as tetras.

Planted angelfish tank, with rummy nose as dither fish and maybe a pair of Rams. Maybe some bottom dwellers.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advic

My 56 column is getting set up as an angle tank hvy planted 2 angels and 6/8 Cory's

As for rams I love the rams , what would a good center pice be that wouldn't eat the rams lol aside from angels

125gal Waiting for C/A cichlids , 55gal African Cichlids , 75gal "wet pet "oscar , 75 gal empty setting up for ????10gal & 56gal column cycled but no stock

How about some peaceful south americans.

A group Mikrogeophagus altispinosus(Bolivan Ram) - Peaceful, gregarious - bottom
Angelfish - Somewhat peaceful - mid water swimming
Various laetacara species - varies
Cleithracara maronii(keyhole cichlid) - Very peaceful - midwater swimming
Aequidens metae(Yellow Acara) - Somewhat peaceful - bottom/midlevel swimming

Obviously, you can't put all those in a single 55 together but if there are some of those that you like we can build a stocklist around them. Also, most of the above cichlids can be kept with other SA fish such as tetras.

Yea I know I have tetras and other " community " in with my Salvini

I don't think many fish that are small enough to live in a 55g could eat a ram. Unless you get them really young. Angels are always my go to for show fish. Gouramis are a similar alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't think many fish that are small enough to live in a 55g could eat a ram. Unless you get them really young. Angels are always my go to for show fish. Gouramis are a similar alternative.

Gouramis are an awesome fish , might go with them , rams , maybe some swordtails , Cory cats would work for bottom or would the rams be to much for them

Never had rams before I've read they can be aggressive when spawning

Yeah, I have a pair of Rams that breed like crazy. They do chase fish away from their nest, But no harm there. If your worried you can just get all of one gender. You could defiantly add a few corys.

Never had rams before I've read they can be aggressive when spawning

M. altispinosus(Bolivian Rams) are not nearly as aggressive as M. ramirezi(Blue/Gold/GBR/etc Rams) are. They do well in groups. I think keyholes would be a great combination with bolivian rams. Wonderful fish and easy to find. Grow to a decent size for a 55 but would not eat anything but the smallest of tetras and maybe not even them.

M. altispinosus(Bolivian Rams) are not nearly as aggressive as M. ramirezi(Blue/Gold/GBR/etc Rams) are. They do well in groups. I think keyholes would be a great combination with bolivian rams. Wonderful fish and easy to find. Grow to a decent size for a 55 but would not eat anything but the smallest of tetras and maybe not even them.

So you think keyhole over a gourami ?

Yeah, I have a pair of Rams that breed like crazy. They do chase fish away from their nest, But no harm there. If your worried you can just get all of one gender. You could defiantly add a few corys.

Ok cool love Cory's

Yeah, I would probably do 6 bolivian rams and 2 keyholes.

Ok so stock list

6- rams
2-keyholes
4-6-Cory's
Anything else??

How about some black emperor tetra or silver dollars

So you think keyhole over a gourami ?

You will love the keyhole's awesome personality.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How about some black emperor tetra or silver dollars
The emporer tetras should be fine. I have never kept silver dollars, don't they get fairly large?

You want something non-aggressive that will swim around in the water and let the cichlids know it is safe.

They get like 12 inch dinner plate lol , ok no silver dollars

Ok new stock

Centerpiece : ( 2 ) keyhole cichlids ( m/f ) ??

Bottom feeder : (6-8) Cory cats

Bottom/middle swimmers : ( 6 ) rams - ( 2 ) male ( 4 ) female ???

Middle/top : ( 6-8 ) Emperor Tetras

Back
Top Bottom