Stock Compatability Check

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arget

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm currently working on a 90g Mbuna tank. So far I've got two fully grown Maingano? males. One 2.5" male Yellow Lab. One male YT Acei about the same size as the Yellow Lab. I will not be getting anymore Maingano, and I might lose the smaller one, the larger Maingano is the dominate fish in the tank. I plan on getting more Yellow Labs, YT Acei, and Rusties. Possibly some Red Zebras, but I'm not sure if their compatible. Would any of the fish interbreed? I'd rather not stock anything that could hybridize.

I think all Mbuna have the potential to inter-breed. Take a look at Red Top Hongi and one of my favorite Mbuna, White tail Acei. Here's a pic of my dominant male WT Acei.

Attachments

• 20181214_180150.jpg
    20181214_180150.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 60
Apparently Tweety is compatible with Red Zebras... I think that I need to make a trip to my LFS for more Yellow Labs. The Red Zebras are about 1"-1.5". Tweety is 2.5". That looks like courting behavior to me, though this is my first Mbuna tank.

Got two new Mbunas today. I was in the KC area, and decided to look at one of the pet stores up there. I found a surprise. In Olathe they had a tank full of Rusties, which were at the top of my priority list, being the only Mbuna that is planned for the 90g that I did not have.

Here's some pictures, probably not very good. They keep moving on me, though the Alpha fish, my Maingano? that has earned the name Midnight likes to pose. The current stock is two Maingano? males. Four Red Zebras. Two Yellow Labs. Two Rusties. One YT Acei male. One of the Red Zebras I'm not sure about. It was a lot more orange in the store, but that was probably the lighting. It could also be part albino for all I know.

Attachments

• Rusty Mbuna 021.jpg
    Rusty Mbuna 021.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Rusty Mbuna 011.jpg
    Rusty Mbuna 011.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 71
The final stocking will be five of each, save for the Maingano? The smaller Maingano? will be rehomed. I'll need to pick up about 10 more pots, so that way I'll have 22 pots total, and 21 fish. Is the orange Red Zebra a Red Zebra? Or is it a hybrid or something else? I thought that it was a Red Zebra, but the coloring is off, even if it is a male turning to his adult colors, depending on how big they are when they change colors. It has a blue stripe near the orange one on the dorsal fin, but I'm not sure if the picture's good enough to see it.

Back
Top Bottom