Stock Up Cichlid Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mm. How long ago were these reviews made? But about 50% of te fish from petsmart are either sick when you buy them or will become sick almost immediately after coming home. At least in my experience

Some people say the animals are okay but most say that they are overpriced and the owner once charged a customer $29 for a mouse and refused to give their money back! Someone else bought a dog that died not even 5 days later of disease! There aren't any other closer shops so I don't know where to find some quality fish!

Mm. How long ago were these reviews made? But about 50% of te fish from petsmart are either sick when you buy them or will become sick almost immediately after coming home. At least in my experience

I recently was there and the fish looked healthy, but last time they seemed diseased. It could have been a new stock of fish but something bad must still be in the water... Entire fish stock does not heal itself in a week!

To clean the tank. Carefully remove any heavy build up with a blade. For the rest, lay the tank on it's side and place some new dish cloths on the stains. This may have to be repeated for each side of the tank!!. Dampen the cloths with NEAT white vinegar. Leave for 12 hours and 24hrs for very heavy stains. Rinse really well with WARM water NOT hot water. I cracked a 55g with hot water:banghead:. If you can comfortably put your hand in the water, then it's safe.
Glass is porous so some stain may remain. They usually don't show up with water in the tank. A shower(if the tank fits in) or garden hose is ideal to clean/rinse the tank. Hot water can damage the silicone....

To check for leaks : put it in your Bath tub , fill it too the top and leave it there for a hr is so then go and check all the seems and the overalls condition of the glass

To clean the tank. Carefully remove any heavy build up with a blade. For the rest, lay the tank on it's side and place some new dish cloths on the stains. This may have to be repeated for each side of the tank!!. Dampen the cloths with NEAT white vinegar. Leave for 12 hours and 24hrs for very heavy stains. Rinse really well with WARM water NOT hot water. I cracked a 55g with hot water:banghead:. If you can comfortably put your hand in the water, then it's safe.
Glass is porous so some stain may remain. They usually don't show up with water in the tank. A shower(if the tank fits in) or garden hose is ideal to clean/rinse the tank. Hot water can damage the silicone....

Will do!

Were in so cal are you located I'm also in so cal

Sent from my PRO7D using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Africans have wicked color tiger oscars also have awesome color looks like lava color

The assorted african tank might as well be called the I am too lazy to label the fish I sell tank :) In any case they are usually mbuna in the assorted tanks take a picture either at your LFS and ask for an id here I couldn't help much with mbuna but a lot of. Guys know lot about them

Assorted tanks are typically labeled and sold that way, because that is how they are ordered from the wholesaler :angel:. In other words, your retailer puts in an order for a number of "assorted African cichlids". Most don't try and label them because they have not idea or interest in what the different ones are.

Assorted tanks are typically labeled and sold that way, because that is how they are ordered from the wholesaler :angel:. In other words, your retailer puts in an order for a number of "assorted African cichlids". Most don't try and label them because they have not idea or interest in what the different ones are.

Basically you made my point for me. They are too lazy to label them properly some Africans don't mix well and a lot of newbies make bad mistakes because at the LFS was too lazy from the start. Better informed buyers would be better business sigh... :( but that's extra work so let's not hold are breath

Not really - a lot of these fish couldn't be labeled even if an informed individual tried because many of them are hybrids. They are often born and raised in community ponds of "assorted cichlids". It really has nothing to do with the LFS being lazy. If you wanted to point fingers, we could just as easily say the whole-sellers are responsible or the breeders because they mix Africans in big breeding ponds instead of keeping them separate. Personally, I hold the buyers responsible. If individuals didn't buy fish out of those "assorted tanks" the whole-sellers would stop offering them that way.

If you work at a LFS I wish you where in mine. I don't mean to offend you and I understand what your saying. And hybrid are unpredictable and whole sellers shouldn't be selling them in my opinion but that's a whole different subject

+1 There hybrids mostly that can't be id'd

Sent from my PRO7D using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom