Stock Up Cichlid Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moncakat

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am determined to get a Cichlid tank very soon... I'm going to to whatever I can to come up with the money to get a 60 gal aquarium. The one I plan on buying is a FANTASTIC deal I found on Craig's List but I'll need to get some hard water stains out... Any tips? Also I'd like to get a list of cichlids you'd recommend as well as any and all compatible tank mates I could choose from for the 60 gallon. If possible, I'd like to get a number for how many I could keep in the tank together. Thanks a lot!

OH I forgot to ask what I should be aware of when buying a used tank! How should I clean it to be sure it's sanitary?

Last edited by a moderator:
Be careful to to use bleach as that is way harder to remove. The water stains can come out using a blade I used to clean windows when I was young so I had practice but basically lay the box cutter blade because they work the best flat against the surface and scrap off the white stuff and if your not sure or if you start scratching the glass stop immediately you can fill it with water and use regular scrubs to clean fish tanks because it's easier to clean while wet.

You should be aware of leaks or cracks I wouldn't buy it if it had any of those

Last edited by a moderator:
And as far has cichlids are concerned first decide what are you going for mbuna or haps or peacocks or new world cichlids

Thank you very much! But on your first comment are you saying NOT to use bleach?8

And in general mbuna are the cheapest and haps and peacocks are more expensive so tell us what our getting so we can tell you how many in a 60g just depends what your getting but your looking at 15+ if you go with Africans

Yes sorry I didn't make that clear don't use bleach I tried that when I first started ended up killing more fish because of it and it was a pain in the .... To get it out. Bleach kills everything good and bad bacteria takes forever to cycle if you use it. Maybe somebody else had a better experience but I didn't have a great one

Just clean it really good with hot water and scrape off hard water stains with a razor every tank I've owned was used and never had a problem using this method also dont use soap because it will ruin the fishes slime coat if you needs to use something so you feel safe use vinegar and rinse it thoroughly

Sent from my PRO7D using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks! Do you know if inter-species cichlids can coexist? I'm sorry if I keep repeating myself about this but I just can't decide! They're all so beautiful I can hardly choose just one type! Though I probably would go with the mbunas just because they would save me a little bit of $

The can coexist but if your going with mbuna stick to them as they are more aggressive. They still have beautiful colors just try and get them all at once as this will help with aggression

I think they can but not really that experienced in African cichlids I prefer south american

After visiting a few sites over the past few minutes, I think I may decide to get african cichlids instead because of all of the various types and they are easier to find in my LFS! No matter what I end up getting, I'm sure they're gonna be beautiful!

Africans are the most colorful fish imo they are beautiful fish they just lack the personality I find in south american cichlids

Another question...(ugh I know. I ask about a lot) but my LFS sells "assorted"
African cichlids [gasp] in a single tank (and various labeled ones in separate tanks) but I don't think the assorted tanks tell you the gender! How do I tell the difference?

You can clean the tank with a vinegar and water solution. Google it. I forget the exact vinegar I used. Also note that lots of the lesser "stains" will be invisible with water in te tank so u don't need to get all of it off. And also be aware that scratched u see in an empty tank w no light will show up much more once water is in and light is on. So be careful w razor blade! I just experienced this myself unfortunately!

The assorted african tank might as well be called the I am too lazy to label the fish I sell tank :) In any case they are usually mbuna in the assorted tanks take a picture either at your LFS and ask for an id here I couldn't help much with mbuna but a lot of. Guys know lot about them

I've seen lfs around here use assorted tags on fish as well. Mostly on peacocks and Cory's. I find it rather annoying.

You will want to test the pH of your tap water. African need at least 7.5, if yours is low you will need to get some crushed coral. Also, make sure to REALLY OVER FILTER the water. Double, over even triple the suggested volume.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391013566.458958.jpg I'm most likely going to petsmart to purchase the cichlids because they have good reviews and they are closer... Maybe Petco but I've heard their fish are typically unhealthy...
We'll see!

Well both places are bad so.... Try to find a mom, and pop store. Or a aquarium society. That's we're i get 99.9% of my fish and plants.

I've tried to find some but the one in my area has good reviews for knowledge on their creatures , but horrible customer service!

Back
Top Bottom