stocking 30g aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidmoss1992

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sorry if I mess this up because im new to this site. Well I have had one 55g african cichlid tank in the past, so im not really new to cichlids and I have also had a single oscar in a 55g tank for a year until I sold the tank. Now im trying to get a new tank set up. It cycled for 4 weeks with some water, sand, old filtration from my oscar tank. Now the tank is only 30g and I know its not big. It has pool filter sand (larger grain tan) 400 gph whisper hob filter, 300watt heater, t5lighting, air pump, fake plants and a few larger rocks. I either want to set it up with a single large SA or CA cichlid. Or maybe 1 male yellow lab and 3-4 females. I have high ph and lots of minerals in my well water naturally, so thats why im kind of stuck on yellow labs at the moment. I have also tried using driftwood to lower ph but after 3 or so months with constant water changes it didnt do anything. What do you suggest for stocking? Im really open, I just want color!:fish1:

Which are nice? As for other options, i llove my 30 with 2 cobalt blue discus (SA), and five reticulated hillstream loaches.

ForumRunner_20120118_145332.jpg

i think the yellow labs and the peacocks are nice, so are your discus that I heard were really hard to care for. I like the blue cichlids mentioned above also. I wish I could remember the name of those cichlids were the males are blue and the females were yellow though. I seen a picture somewere and a guy had a 30g with those in it and it looked great.

So is this stocking idea going to be ok? 1 male yellow lab, 3 females, 1 syn cat, and redtail shark? I know id have to do water changes every 4-5 days

davidmoss1992 said:
i think the yellow labs and the peacocks are nice, so are your discus that I heard were really hard to care for. I like the blue cichlids mentioned above also. I wish I could remember the name of those cichlids were the males are blue and the females were yellow though. I seen a picture somewere and a guy had a 30g with those in it and it looked great.

Psuedotropheus Saulosi?

My johanni's. As far as my discus, i heeard the same stuff abt difficulty of care. Even all my research came to the same conclusion. But i have to say its been super easy. I just add seachem discus buffer to the water while i age it and thats it.

ForumRunner_20120118_213740.jpg

so is that above stocking good to go, Im going to start with 7 yellow lab fry and ill keep the alpha male and best looking females. When do they reach sexual maturity? Also with the fry, i have lots of hiding places, so could I leave the fry in the tank and maybe have 1-3 survive? Im also planning on getting a redtail shark for a little color difference. Are there any smaller fish that would do good with yellow labs that have a nice bright color to them and could get by in a 30g?

A 30 gallon tank is far to small for the fish you all are talking about. For a 30 I'd suggest dwarf cichlids like rams and Kribs.

Im sort of setting up a breeder tank, Ive seen it done and I really would like to give it a go. If it doesnt work i can rehome the fish. Plus the dwarfs just dont have the personality as the malawi's.

the cichlid that the male is yellow and female is blue is the kenyi cichlid, i have a few of them.

davidmoss1992 said:
Im sort of setting up a breeder tank, Ive seen it done and I really would like to give it a go. If it doesnt work i can rehome the fish.

You are talking about keeping a group of adult fish that can get 4-6" plus in a tank that is roughly 30 x 12 x 18. Chances are even if they reach adult size they most likely wont even breed in such a small over crowed space.

davidmoss1992 said:
Plus the dwarfs just dont have the personality as the malawi's
I am going to have to disagree and I'm pretty sure about the 80% of the people who are in my Aquarium Society that keep dwarf cichlids would too. They have just as much fight and personality in them as the larger cichlids.

I understand that dwarfs can have personality, but I personally dont care for them as much. Kenyi's are great looking. Im sure ill upgrade tanks soon enough, but for now, im stuck with the 30g. I want 3 tanks as soon as I get a bigger place. 55g african cichlid tank, 150+ mixed SA tank with oscar and sevs, and small (30g tank with schooling fish and big angel) Didnt mean to offend anyone with my previous post:cool:

davidmoss1992 said:
I understand that dwarfs can have personality, but I personally dont care for them as much. Kenyi's are great looking. Im sure ill upgrade tanks soon enough, but for now, im stuck with the 30g. I want 3 tanks as soon as I get a bigger place. 55g african cichlid tank, 150+ mixed SA tank with oscar and sevs, and small (30g tank with schooling fish and big angel) Didnt mean to offend anyone with my previous post:cool:

Well then I would just wait until you can get a large enough tank for the fish you want. The overall health and happiness of the fish will be much higher if the tank is the right size or larger for the fish as juveniles. I have seven 2.5-3.5" fish in a 125 gallon tank, sure it looks a little silly now but those fish grow faster and are more active than fish that would be in a smaller tank. Plus with in a year or so those same fish will be 8-10 and won't new to be put through the stresses of setting up a new tank.

Back
Top Bottom