Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmats

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 75gallon tank with a fluval canister filter. I want to do South Americans but I am worried about overstocking. My ideal setup would be (and nothing more than) a jack Dempsey, green terror, Oscar, red tailed catfish, and silver Arowana. Would this be too much?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes. A 75 would be far too small for that group of fish long term. Research their mature sizes and needs and stock around that. I would avoid the RTC and Aro completely. You may be able to do the other three, depending on personality. Remember, green terrors and jack dempseys earned their common names.

I would say the Dempsey and terror or just the Oscar and that's it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As said too smal terror jack and oscar is a big gamble, already 2 is risking 3 could be disaster. You can try oscar and jd and hope the jd isnt too wild or a terror. You could always go with a severum and oscar.

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

Red tailed cat's get so big so fast. Not sure what size tank could keep up with it, but i wouldn't even give it a shot in my 125. Oscars are supposed to have 55g to themselves sadly. Tanks dont seem so crowded when the fish are juveniles, but these fish get big in the blink of an eye

Okay. The reason I want these fish is because it is awesome to throw some goldfish in there once in a while and watch them devour them. Especially for parties at my house. Do Africans eat goldfish? I really know nothing about Africans.

I want some big mean fish, but the South Americans might be too aggressive for my tank size. Are there any Africans that grow large and will eat goldfish that don't need as much space in the tank as an Oscar or jack?

A single Red Devil/Midas or Oscar in a 75g would be fine. They get large, are very curious of their surroundings (inside and outside the tank), and will "eat goldfish" for your amusement. I wouldn't recommend doing that so often though, or at all. They offer nothing in terms of nutrition and can potentially carry disease.

A single Buttikoferi is another option if you're wanting to try African cichlids. They are just as mean as the Red Devil/Midas, and get as large as an oscar.

I have noticed most Africans grow to be about 5" and they are aggressive. If they don't get so large that should allow me to get more fish, right? Will these guys eat feeder fish? I am not saying I will feed them feeders all the time, maybe once a month as a social thing for my friends to enjoy with a couple of beers. In the same token, I want a beautiful tank with some really awesome fish.

Lol sounds like you would be better off with a snake than fish. Some Africans if big enough will eat feeder fish but it's not good for them.

Feeders at all are still bad IMO. They could carry ANYTHING. If you want to feed live, maybe crickets or home raised guppies

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Yes, I am a Harry Potter Nerd. SO THERE! ✨ ?⚡

Back
Top Bottom