Stocking 60 gallon with African Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amyers22

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am fairly new to tanks and would like to stock a 60 gallon tank (14.25"L x 50"W x 55"H) with African Cichlids, Lake Malawi species. I am unsure of how many fish to stock in this size of tank. I have heard it's better to overstock cichlids to minimize aggression, but I have also heard that this is untrue. I would like to have one of each of the following:
Aulonocara Chiloelo "orange band"

Sunshine Peacock

Livingstonii

Aulonocara Maylandi Sulferhead

Aulonocara Maleri "Rubescens" Super Red

Protomelas "Ndiwe" Fire Hap

Otopharynx Heterodon "Royal Blue Hap"

Chilotilapia Rhoadesii

Ruby Crystal Peacock

Red Peacock

Aulonocara OB Peacock

Metriaclima Estherae (Albino)

This is a total of 12 fish. Is this too many for a tank of this size or too little? Also is this a good mix?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No that's not too many. Especially if they are still young. Some of those Haps will get big, but for now you should be fine. The aggression comes with Mbuna tanks, over stocking those is recommended.

No that's not too many. Especially if they are still young. Some of those Haps will get big, but for now you should be fine. The aggression comes with Mbuna tanks, over stocking those is recommended.

When they have reached adult size will I need a larger tank or will they still be okay in my 60 gallon? I thought that the majority of them would get no larger than 5". I didn't check the sizes on all of them though.

Nibochromis Livingstoniigets to be 10"+ and is predatory. Not suitable for that tank.

Also, are you sure your tank is 4 1/2' tall?

Nibochromis Livingstoniigets to be 10"+ and is predatory. Not suitable for that tank.

Also, are you sure your tank is 4 1/2' tall?

Oops! That's my tank and stand dimensions combined. I read it off the box wrong! I'd have to measure it once I got it out. Thanks for your help :) !

In a 60 gallon you will want to stay with Ciclids in the 5 to 6 inch range.

Justincase must have had some bum Africans in the past...lol. I also have SA's and they are very different from my Mbuna in behavior patterns, but I love them all the same. :)

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Overstock if u go woth Mbuna. They are things of evil in my experience amd need alot of tank mates to even out aggression.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm overstocking my Mbuna tank.

Make sure to over filtrate to keep up with overstock

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I am fairly new to tanks and would like to stock a 60 gallon tank (14.25"L x 50"W x 55"H) with African Cichlids, Lake Malawi species. I am unsure of how many fish to stock in this size of tank. I have heard it's better to overstock cichlids to minimize aggression, but I have also heard that this is untrue. I would like to have one of each of the following: Aulonocara Chiloelo "orange band" Sunshine Peacock Livingstonii Aulonocara Maylandi Sulferhead Aulonocara Maleri "Rubescens" Super Red Protomelas "Ndiwe" Fire Hap Otopharynx Heterodon "Royal Blue Hap" Chilotilapia Rhoadesii Ruby Crystal Peacock Red Peacock Aulonocara OB Peacock Metriaclima Estherae (Albino) This is a total of 12 fish. Is this too many for a tank of this size or too little? Also is this a good mix? Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm trying to figure out your tank... Is it higher than it is wide? 55H and 50W ?
And the 14.25L is that front to back?

I'm trying to figure out your tank... Is it higher than it is wide? 55H and 50W ?
And the 14.25L is that front to back?

I accidentally put the measurements of my tank and stand combined. I'd have to measure the tank once I got it out of the box for the exact dimensions. I just know it's 60 gallons and is a rectangle.

I have 20 Mbuna in my 60G so far and plan on picking up more eventually.

I am filtering the tank 8x over though..

You may want to do the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have 20 Mbuna in my 60G so far and plan on picking up more eventually. I am filtering the tank 8x over though.. You may want to do the same thing. Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What are the dimensions of your tank?

Back
Top Bottom