Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Stocking 75g tank with Discus. Help with cycling and tankmates

Ive just acquired a 75g tank and plan on putting at least 4 Discus to start in it. I already have two plecos to go in it but i need help with other tankmates. I want this tank to be centered around the Discus so I was considering tetras but I'm not sure what kind and how many I should get. Also any opinions on the most compatible catfish? I also wanted to do this as correctly as possible but I'm not really sure how to go about cycling a new tank before adding any fish. I need everything to be as perfect as possible for the Discus. Please help,

Old 03-18-2014, 09:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't add the plecos due to their high bioload, aggressive behavior, and nocturnal lifestyle. Otocinclus would be a better algae eater. Rummynose tetras are a good option.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes I had a pleco suck on the side of my discus I put in some Cardinal Tetris with mine they do better in warmer water I also use reverse osmosis water
Old 03-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #4

Ive heard of plecos getting a "taste" for discus slime. I think mine is still too small to mess with the discus yet.

Im thinking about stocking with 4 discus, 10 rummynose tetras, and 3 or 4 raphael catfish and leaving the plecos in my platy tank. Any suggestions or does this sound like a good start?
Old 03-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would avoid anything with spines, aka plecos, Raphael cats, etc. stick with a more defenseless catfish, like porthole cats, or sterbai cories
Old 03-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Go with
4 discus
1-2 GBR
8-10 Schooling fish of choice
6 Cory's
Old 03-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #7

I was considering GBR but I've never had them before. How hard are they to care for? I guess they cant be as bad as discus though
Old 03-23-2014, 01:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusLvr View Post
I was considering GBR but I've never had them before. How hard are they to care for? I guess they cant be as bad as discus though

I've kept many and love them! Great colors and are typically pretty peaceful unless you get a pair and they breed. They're not to hard to care for, they like low ph and pristine water conditions just like discus.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawk__ View Post
I've kept many and love them! Great colors and are typically pretty peaceful unless you get a pair and they breed. They're not to hard to care for, they like low ph and pristine water conditions just like discus.

I think I will probably stock it just as you said then. That sounds like the perfect setup. Any suggestions on plants? I have one amazon sword now and plan on getting one or two more. Ive considered wisteria but I'm not sure what else to put in there. I don't want the tank to be too heavily planted but i want to provide shade and hiding spots too.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusLvr View Post
I think I will probably stock it just as you said then. That sounds like the perfect setup. Any suggestions on plants? I have one amazon sword now and plan on getting one or two more. Ive considered wisteria but I'm not sure what else to put in there. I don't want the tank to be too heavily planted but i want to provide shade and hiding spots too.

I'm not I'm expert on plants, but I did have a medium light planted tank for a while.

I'd suggest jungle vals, wisteria, Anubis, java ferns, etc. The plants you get doesn't really matter, it's all your preference and what your lighting can handle. Just make sure you have a combo of low-med-high in terms of height for good depth. I'd also add some river rock and driftwood to your setup for a nice natural look Get a natural color gravel/sand to!

Tags
75g, ate, cycling, discus, mate, stock, stocking, tan, tank, tankmate, tankmates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com