Stocking 90 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DustyLou

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am setting up a 90 gallon and want to be sure I will not be overstocking.
I am using a Penn Plax Cascade 1200 canister filter
I currently have a purple parrot and several Boesemani rainbows waiting in a 20 gallon.
I am thinking of adding
2 Electric blue acaras
2 T. Maculipinnis (spot cheek, T Ellioti)
Does that sound like too much?

Well, I'm sure other people can fill you in on any possible compatibility issues(I've only had experience with the Acara, so i don't know) but you should be fine in terms of bioload as long as you have a half decent filter.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Thank you for your reply.
I think my filter can handle the load and I will do weekly water changes.
I'm wondering if i just put one of each in will they be happy, or do they need companionship of their own kind.
If I can do single fish I may also add one each of fire mouth and yellow firemouth. That would be four fish ranging in max size between 6-7" and the parrot who can reach 10", still keeping my group of rainbows.
So, can thesee fish be happy as singles, and would that be overcrouding?
Thanks again

I think it would be better do do singles. They don't need companionship, they arent a schooling fish. I would do all males though to prevent cross-breeding.

Could you tell us what filter you have? You should significantly over-filter any cichlid tanks.

Also, think about adding some bottom feeders! Syno's are great, especially the Eupterus. IMO

Although i wouldn't do more than the Parrot as well as 3 of the smaller cichlids. 4 is a bit too much for a 90 gallon.

Also, you're going to need LOTS of hiding spots to establish territory, or leave the tank bare so there are no territories at all. Being bare is an eyesore though.

I have a Penn Plax 1200 canister filter.
I have several hiding spots.
I may consider a school of pitcus cats later, but from what I read the spot cheek feeds from the bottom also.
Per your advice I think I will only get one each of electric blue acara, spot cheek and yellow firemouth. I will be getting them young, so I don't know what sex they will be.

Hmm. They should work out in the juvenile stage. The Parrot may prove to be the issue, but it should be okay,

Again, LOTS of hiding spots. Ao that fish can escape others and have territories.

The whole center of my tank is a maze of rocks, fake plants, and driftwood.

90 gallon stocking

I think I have adequate hiding spots. I would love to have 2 of each,but think it would probably be best to just go with one each electric blue acara, spot cheek cichlid,yellow firemouth and purple parrot. Thanks for your advice.

Story, I thought I included a pic. I''ll try again. It has 4 Boesemani rainbows in it as of last night. BTW I just was offered a free 55 gallon complete with a jack dempsey,a green terror a Pleco and an undetermined redish colored fish. They have been together for 6 years. Let me know if the photo comes

If you've tried to post a photo on this thread it is not visible to me.

I wish I could post a pic. I would also like help identifying the fish I will be given, which I have a photo of on My iPad.
Any help would be appreciated. I click to add file, click on the pic and submit.i have done it twice.

Now I have to rethink my set ups.
I have a 55 gal community tank with a large kisser, a large Pleco, a featherfin catfish, and several types of tetras.
I guess I will put these free fish in the 90. That will be my small parrot, my 4 Boesemani rainbows, the adult jack dempsey, green terror and un identified red fish. They also will give me a Pleco, but I have a home made 3 d background covered in cement that the Pleco might destroy,so I will hold him in a 20 gallon until the new 55 is set up.
So I will have a free 55 that will need stocked.
I would like something unusual.
I am open to suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom