Stocking a 120 freshwater with cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MossyOakMama

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am wanting to hear what u would put in 120 freshwater aquarium. I have a 46 freshwater and 10 freshwater. Send me some suggestions. Thank u. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am wanting to hear what u would put in 120 freshwater aquarium. I have a 46 freshwater and 10 freshwater. Send me some suggestions. Thank u. :)

6 angelfish
8-10 Threadfin Rainbowfish
15 Rummy nose tetras
6 Lemon or Diamond tetras
10 Cory Cats (there are alot of different species to choose from)
3 Whiptail cats (also called twig catfish)
1 Longfin Albino Bristlenose Pleco
1 Pair of German Blue Rams or Bolivian Rams

This type stocking will give you a variety of different shaped fish that use different area's of the tank.

Another idea is check out all the different rainbowfish and their colors. You could do a rainbow fish tank with loaches and even a pair of rams along with the pleco and whiptail cats.

Some have suggested chilids.< spelled wrong.

How many? What colors? What else gets along with them?

:)

Some have suggested chilids.< spelled wrong.

How many? What colors? What else gets along with them?

:)

Are you considering African or American cichlids? If African, are you leaning towards Malwi, Tanganyika or riverian? If Malwi are you considering Mbunas, or Haps? If Tanganyika are you considering a community or just mixed species?The answer to those questions will make a big difference in what we recommend.

Wy Renegade said:
Are you considering African or American cichlids? If African, are you leaning towards Malwi, Tanganyika or riverian? If Malwi are you considering Mbunas, or Haps? If Tanganyika are you considering a community or just mixed species?The answer to those questions will make a big difference in what we recommend.

Ok. I better do more reading. Community mixed with other fish. Right?
Mixed species? Mixed chichlids?
I love color! I just don't want wwe in my aquarium. Lol

Any advice and insight would b wonderful!

Ok. I better do more reading. Community mixed with other fish. Right?
Mixed species? Mixed chichlids?
I love color! I just don't want wwe in my aquarium. Lol

Any advice and insight would b wonderful!

Community as in cichlids of various types mixed with other cichlids for the same lake or region. If you looking primarily for color, I'd focus on the Mbuna of Lake Malawi. 120 gallons of mixed Mbuna species will give you a great color display. The key to not having WWI in your tank will be selecting species that are compatible, but be aware that with cichlids there will always be some aggression in the tank.

6 Discus, 4 Clown Loach, 7 Lemon Tetra, 7 Bleading Heart Tetra, Green Phantom Pleco.
Or
2 Blue Acara, 2 Red Head Severum, 4 Clown Loach, Green Phantom Pleco, Some dither fish.

To be honest with a tank that size you really have a massive choice - jealous!

Last edited:
Wy Renegade said:
Community as in cichlids of various types mixed with other cichlids for the same lake or region. If you looking primarily for color, I'd focus on the Mbuna of Lake Malawi. 120 gallons of mixed Mbuna species will give you a great color display. The key to not having WWI in your tank will be selecting species that are compatible, but be aware that with cichlids there will always be some aggression in the tank.

Ok. The only lfs is petco or petsmart. How will I know what region? I know some will b temperamental. I just don't want them tearing each other up.

Borderlesscott said:
6 Discus, 4 Clown Loach, 7 Lemon Tetra, 7 Bleading Heart Tetra, Green Phantom Pleco.
Or
2 Blue Acara, 2 Red Head Severum, 4 Clown Loach, Green Phantom Pleco, Some dither fish.

To be honest with a tank that size you really have a massive choice - jealous!

The aquarium was given to me!! I am in total shock still. :)

One other question---- sand or river rocks for substrate??

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. The only lfs is petco or petsmart. How will I know what region? I know some will b temperamental. I just don't want them tearing each other up.

Well . . . several things will become criticially important in determining your success or failure.

First of all, research will be your best friend. Go to the store and see they have available. Come home with a list of common and if available scientific names. Research the fish by name and listen to what the research says - if you see a site selling the fish and it says "suitable for all tanks, mildly aggressive," and you post after post on the forum by people talking about how aggressive that particular fish is, don't get it.

Secondly, do not mix countries, lakes, or subgroups of fish; no South American with African, no malawi with tanganyika, and no haps with mbuna. These combinations may appear to work out in the short term, they do not succeed in the long term.

Lastly, at all costs, avoid impulse buying any fish. With cichlids this is typically a recipe for disaster. The "oh so pretty" cichlid at the LFS becomes the terror of your tank.

You want to do as much research as possible ahead of time and introduce as many of the fish together as possible. With cichlids it is always more difficult to add another fish later.

As far as the substrate, you can use sand with riverrock to make caves and shelters or you can use gravel with riverrock to make caves and shelters, but don't use just riverrock. Really its a matter of personal choice both sand and gravel work equally well with cichlids.

If you would like I can move your thread to the cichlid forum and change the title slightly. This may result in you getting a bit more help with some cichlid specific suggestions.

Last edited:
Wy Renegade said:
Well . . . several things will become criticially important in determining your success or failure.

First of all, research will be your best friend. Go to the store and see they have available. Come home with a list of common and if available scientific names. Research the fish by name and listen to what the research says - if you see a site selling the fish and it says "suitable for all tanks, mildly aggressive," and you post after post on the forum by people talking about how aggressive that particular fish is, don't get it.

Secondly, do not mix countries, lakes, or subgroups of fish; no South American with African, no malawi with tanganyika, and no haps with mbuna. These combinations may appear to work out in the short term, they do not succeed in the long term.

Lastly, at all costs, avoid impulse buying any fish. With cichlids this is typically a recipe for disaster. The "oh so pretty" cichlid at the LFS becomes the terror of your tank.

You want to do as much research as possible ahead of time and introduce as many of the fish together as possible. With cichlids it is always more difficult to add another fish later.

As far as the substrate, you can use sand with riverrock to make caves and shelters or you can use gravel with riverrock to make caves and shelters, but don't use just riverrock. Really its a matter of personal choice both sand and gravel work equally well with cichlids.

If you would like I can move your thread to the cichlid forum and change the title slightly. This may result in you getting a bit more help with some cichlid specific suggestions.

That would b really helpful. Thank you. I am going to read up on cichlids. Please post on the sight u recommended.

These will help some that I like to share from time to time. Great advice above :)

Article #1
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/lake-malawi-aquarium-stocking-cichlids/

Article #2
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/lake-malawi-mbuna-stocking-dcor-hardware/

With this one you can scroll down to lake Malawi
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_75g.php

I just wanted to add must of us end up ordering from a good retailer online. Because of the lack of a good mix of Cichlids available at most lfs. And here is a good link for where to order online.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/this-is-where-to-buy-cichlids-online-224030.html

And when looking up profiles of fish I use
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/

I think that should be a good amount of info to get ya started :) its not as hard as it sounds or looks with the right help. But that's what we are all here for ;) good luck

Reactions: HN1
Wy Renegade said:

I agree with some of your points, but this comment is overly prescriptive and a little off-base in my opinion.

What do you mean by not mixing countries? Are
You saying a Peruvian green terror cant be mixed with a pike from Columbia?

Also, I see no problems mixing south American cichlids with African riverine cichlids such as kribs.

And subgroups of fish? So I can't add a pleco to a Cichlid tank?

I would rethink this advice.

I agree with some of your points, but this comment is overly prescriptive and a little off-base in my opinion.

What do you mean by not mixing countries? Are
You saying a Peruvian green terror cant be mixed with a pike from Columbia?

Also, I see no problems mixing south American cichlids with African riverine cichlids such as kribs.

And subgroups of fish? So I can't add a pleco to a Cichlid tank?

I would rethink this advice.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion, and with a proper understanding of the cichlids involved and water quality requirements, you might get away with some of the combinations you mentioned above. However, to provide such advice to someone who is just getting into cichlids, is in my opinion a poor choice.

Additionally, while you may see no problem with some of the combinations you suggested, I do. I'm a purist at heart and regardless of purity of biotype, I know that the advice I provided ensures the greatest likelyhood of success long term, so I will stand by the advice I gave. Others, like yourself, may have a different opinion, and you are welcome to have it and to express it. That does not mean that you are going to change my mind or that I am going to rethink my advice to someone just getting into cichlids. Perhaps you should consider the situation before you hand out the type of advice you are giving here?

As far as the pleco, as I indicated in my examples, my advice was geared towards cichlids. I was not referring to plecos or any of the other types of fish which may be out there. With the proper set-up, research, and experience, one might keep Congo Tetras with Kribs. However at the current price for Congos, I wouldn't suggest it to a beginner.

Wy Renegade said:
Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion, and with a proper understanding of the cichlids involved and water quality requirements, you might get away with some of the combinations you mentioned above. However, to provide such advice to someone who is just getting into cichlids, is in my opinion a poor choice.

Additionally, while you may see no problem with some of the combinations you suggested, I do. I'm a purist at heart and regardless of purity of biotype, I know that the advice I provided ensures the greatest likelyhood of success long term, so I will stand by the advice I gave. Others, like yourself, may have a different opinion, and you are welcome to have it and to express it. That does not mean that you are going to change my mind or that I am going to rethink my advice to someone just getting into cichlids. Perhaps you should consider the situation before you hand out the type of advice you are giving here?

As far as the pleco, as I indicated in my examples, my advice was geared towards cichlids. I was not referring to plecos or any of the other types of fish which may be out there. With the proper set-up, research, and experience, one might keep Congo Tetras with Kribs. However at the current price for Congos, I wouldn't suggest it to a beginner.

I don't ever know where to start with this one.

You specifically (and very authoritatively) gave a person all these strict generalizations about not mixing cichlids and provided no explanation of the reasoning. Now you mention it's because your a biotype purist? Not only did you not mention that in the previous post, but it's not even a good reason to tell someone not to mix cichlids. Not to mention, rivers are not constrained by country borders, so you can have a biotype even ignoring the criteria you set forth.

Generalizations have no value when expressed as facts, especially to someone new to the hobby. Where is the evidence that a pure biotype is more likely to succeed than a tank full of Mixed cichlids?

I was considering the poster,which is why I felt the need to clean the slate before they left thinking it would be a bad idea to do anything but a biotype.

I think you need to go back to the drawing board with this one.

Given the fact that the OP clearly has no experience with, and clearly hasn't researched cichlids at all, the advice Wy Renegade gave is the same I'd have given. It's much easier to advise the rule to newcomers, rather than the exception.

Back
Top Bottom