Stocking a 50Gallon-African Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JHawk

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm going with an African Cichlid tank and need some input regarding the stocking plan. The tank is fully cycled after doing a fishless cycle. I found this place online that sells cichlids:

http://www.fishcollectors.com/

I called them up and she recommended a mixture of some of the more peaceful ones. She also said to get a large number to keep aggression down. Does that make sense? Anyway, here is the price quote:

SMALL ASSORTMENT OF 60 FISH FOR $2 EACH - SOME INCLUDED RED TOP ZEBRA, ALBINO SOCOLOFI, OB AFRA -- WE WILL MIX IT UP GOOD.

MEDIUM ASSORTMENT OF 25 FISH FOR $5 EACH- SOME INCLUDED COBALT ZEBRA, KENYI, RED TOP ZEBRA, ETC.

EITHER ASSORTMENT WILL FIT IN A STANDARD SIZE BOX - PROBABLY AROUND $40 TO SHIP- DEPENDING ON YOUR ZIP CODE

She said I should get 25 of the medium ones in this 50 Gallon tank. Is that wise counsel?

Jhawk

That seems like a LOT of fish to be putting in a 50 gal tank. African Cichlid tanks should be slightly overstocked to help control aggression. The key word is SLIGHTLY. Lets say you are going by the 1 inch per gal rule, I'd do maybe 60 inches total of fish. You should add as many fish as possible at once to help with aggression, but adding 25 is WAY too much.

IMO you shouldn't add them all at once anyway. It would be better to add them a couple at a time, stocking slowly will give your bio filter time to catch up with each new addition. :D

IMO you shouldn't add them all at once anyway. It would be better to add them a couple at a time, stocking slowly will give your bio filter time to catch up with each new addition.

I agree :wink: However, I did a fishless cycle so my bio filter should be pretty beefed up. I did that on my other tank and then added a large load of fish with no problems.

Typically heavy overstocking in an African tank is best done with all males to reduce aggression. When there are females in the mix you will still end up with some very aggressive mating behavior. And if you do go with an overstocked tank you will want to make sure that you have very good filtration (i.e. more than is recommended for your size of tank). Those guys can put any biofilter to the test.

Thanks, Travis. I have a Filstar XP2 on this tank. I could add another (HAB Magnum) to increase filtration. How many males would be the right "ballpark" in your opinion. It's a 50 Gallon.

BTW, I click on your tank everytime I see a post from you & just stare in AWE of that thing. VERY nice work, Travis.

Depending on which species you select I'd max it out at a dozen in the 4-6" range.

The problem with gradually stocking a tank like this is that a dominant fish does not take well to new additions, so you have to rearrange the "furniture" with each addition (which does not always work) OR, use Bio-Spira and fully stock all at once - this is one of the best uses for this stuff - so you don't have to deal with the problems associated with adding to a group of Africans, which often comes to grief.

Thanks for the compliments JHawk :) As far as stocking levels go I have to defer to TankGirl - I've learned more from TG than anyone else about how to keep Africans :wink:

I've found that the more cover you provide in an ARLC tank, the better off the weaker fish will be. Always give them plenty of hidey holes and it will reduce aggression problems.

You are too kind, Travis, and no doubt exaggerating, :wink:

Rocks, rocks, and more rocks, no bout a doubt it! Aggression is going to be a big part of life. When it comes to male/females, if you get your species in trios (two females to one male) you should be fine, unless the females of one species resembles in color the males of another species that you are keeping in the tank, in which case those females will get picked on. This is where it gets tricky, because often juvie males of some species have the female coloration, to keep themselves protected, it is thought, and then when they reach maturity they look completely different. That's why I'd stay away from "assortments" of juvies, because what you wind up with in their adult state might be a bad mix. Pick your species combinations, and research what they look like as juvies versus adulthood.

BTW, I do think you need more filtration for this tank.

Thank you Tankgirl. I looked into the dealers you listed on the other thread. There is one within 30 or 40 miles of my home! COOL.

What do you think I should do about filtration? Should I add the HOB Magnum? I'm all ears.

Jhawk

If you already have the Magnum I would definitely add it - don't let it sit around, lol! If you don't have it yet but are considering it, I'd suggest one of the larger AquaClear HOBs, Penguins or Emperors instead.

On my 44 ARLC I have an Eheim 2215 and an Emperor 400, so I have tons of flexibility with media, and though this tank is very much understocked right now (scared to add any new members with my psycho peacock) I have excellent water movement and I would not consider reducing the filtration.

more bio-filtration..

some of the HOB magnums came with a bio-wheel I think its called the pro system, is that what you have? More filtration is more filtration.. the HOB being added to the mix, pro or standard, should help. I would personaly look into a trickle filter but thats just me. And the advise about stocking the tank is very good.

Mine doesn't have the bio-wheel. It's running as a back up polishing filter now on my other tank. I have the ceramic rings in the XP2 -I heard that can help increase the bio-filter.

JHawk - as far as bio-media goes I would say that the Filstar Bio Rings are great. I've been experimenting with a tray-full of Cell Pore bio-media in addition to the Bio Rings in my XP3s on my 125G and it seems to do a great job as well. I wish I had another tank with which to conduct empirical experiments to find out which was best. Cell Pore is pretty cool though :wink:

OK, I ordered them from one of the dealers TankGirl recommended. Here's is what I got:

http://www.bluegrasscichlids.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=5

I will be adding additional filtration. I noticed the Magnum HOB doesn't have many options to add different media. Do you know if I can add media from other filter systems? Otherwise, I may get one of those filters you recommended, Tankgirl. (Another reason to spend $$)

Cell Pore is pretty cool though

I will check it out. Thanks!

Just a thought- I assume you will be making lots of caves for your fishies to keep them happy. Have you thought about using silicone to glue together some of your rocks? It might be something to try since cichlids love to dig so much, you wouldn't want them toppling your rocks over. :D I'd love to see pics when you get it all set up!

You can pretty much use any media you want in any canister, provided the components fit back together properly.

Good point about the rocks, Severum mama. I used eggcrate in the bottom, assembled my rocks (some loose and some siliconed into groups, so I can have the option of changing it around) and then I put my sand in around the rocks, so digging does not loosen the rocks.

I spent the weekend adding some rocks to try and achieve some caves so they like the new home. Didn't think of the silicone idea. (I did imagine them crashing into the side of the tank! That would stink.) I didn't put too many in there or create a massive wall-o-rock like I have seen in other cichlid tanks. Hopefully it will be enough.

I'll try and get a pic up later this week....(I have low-tank esteem after seeing some of the work on this site! :lol: So I a little shy about letting you see it :wink: )

JHawk- I too feel like my tanks don't compare to others on this site. But it takes time to really make the tank the way that you want it. I'm constantly doing re-decorating in the 150, moving things around to make it look like a masterpiece. Noone will judge your tanks negatively. I still don't have a backing for the 150 and you can see the cords and the intake tubes and heaters and power heads really stand out. Feel free to post pics. We love to see new tanks.

http://www.petsolutions.com/H+O+T+Magnum+Canister+Filter-I-47490134-I-C-19-C-.aspx

Tankgirl: This is the filter I have that would be the secondary filter. What media would you recommend I add to it? I purchased a huge container of the carbon last year but I get the feeling that many don't see the value in that stuff. Should I get some of the ceramic rings for the XP2 system and put them in the media holder on this Magnum. I also have an older Eheim in the basement...smaller one. It too is just "sitting there" in a box.

Also, this Cell Pore bio-media. I guess the cubes could fit in the media holder.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4169&N=2004+113803[/b]

Back
Top Bottom