Stocking a 55g to eventually turn into a 125g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcherry

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I've been looking for a 125g on craigslist to stock with new world cichlids as well as various plants and appropriate tankmates. I also plan on using a sump system in this 125. My roomate is upgrading to a 90g soon so I can get his 55 for a good price. I'm looking to get the 125 in 3 or 4 months time. I'm wondering if it's a good idea to start the 55 now as a grow tank for what will eventually be a 125. Should I get a sump and all necessary pumps that would be sufficient for the 125 but just run them on the 55? Would this much overfiltration have any downsides?

Hi there. I'm in the middle of a 55g to 125g upgrade on my cichlids :). Over filtration is never a bad thing but I'm just going to buy a fx5 fluval and forget it. The best bang for your buck for sure and it can handle a 400g tank. Nuff said.

I agree. I actually had a fluval FX5 on a 29 gallon recently because I knew I would upgrade and there's no better way to build bacteria in the filter you'll be using on the larger tank. If you are worried about the flow, simply turn the output against the glass and it will dissipate outwards.

Thanks for the quick replies, guess I'm not the only one on my lunch break. I plan on going with a sump setup over a canister filter but I'm sure the velocity of the intake and output is similar, thanks. My experience lies in African cichlids, I want to try new worlds though. How fast do these cichlids grow? I don't want an empty 55 but I also don't want to cram too many fish in there. LFS has some .5" electric blue jack dempseys as well as some 1.5" oscars...would they be fine for 3 to 4 months in a 55?

I wouldn't put more than 2 oscars in a 125. From what I have read when you have more than 2 something weird happens and they kill each other until 2 remain. But yes, for 3-4 months they (two) would be ok in a 55, but I honestly wouldn't put anything else in the 55 with them during that period. They grow an inch a month (mine grew faster than that). You could add some more fish at the same time as you upgrade to the 125. (do it at the same time so the oscars don't have time to establish territory before you add the new fish).

I always recommend having the tank before buying the fish. We all know life happens and maybe that big tank never comes and then your stuck with overcrowded fish tank with only 2 choices, rehome the fish or try to make due and usually its the second option and then the fish suffer. I'm not saying you would do this but it does happen more than not. My vote buy the tank, filtration, equipment then worry about fish. Keep the 55g for a QT or grow out tank.

Yup. Which is why I would certainly only add the other fish once the 125 is there.

Yeah I know oscars in a 55 is unacceptable. I just didn't know how fast they grow and how soon they would outgrow the 55. If I ended up having a problem getting the 125 I could have my LFS house them for me until I get it so that's not a problem. I just want to have the sump cycled and have some fish that I can bring into the 125 instead of having to get rid of them and start over. Thanks for the help guys. So I think I'm going to get the 2 smallest oscars I can find and keep them for 3 or 4 months at the most. What are some good tankmates for oscars once they're in the 125?

I'm deciding to bite the bullet and pick up a 155 this weekend off of craigslist. At what size (age) do oscars pair off? I'm thinking of starting with 3 or 4 and wait until they do, then sell back the other 1 or 2. Also, what would be appropriate to keep with a breeding pair of oscars in a 155? I'm planning on keeping a bristlenose Pleco or two as well as a clown loach or two. Are there any other fish I could keep with this mix? Maybe the electric blue jack dempseys? Thanks

Not much can be kept with them really in breeding mode. They're even worse than normal...

I'm usually all for keeping agressive fish together within reason, but it's with oscars I have to draw the line. A 155 should be big enough for just the pair, but I can't see other fish living long past 5 months or so. Trust me, oscars can and will swallow anything they can fit in their mouths, and attempt to do so on bigger fish. The main reason I wouldnt keep more than the pair in there is the bioload. The waste they create is just massive. You are going to need a very good filtration system and prepare to clean it nearly weekly. Want some advise? Lose the pair, keep one and get you a jack Dempsey.

I have a breeding pair of oscars in a 150g with numerous smaller fish with no problems at all. Including some Honduran Red Points which breed, clown loaches, BN plecs and Congo tetras. The oscars do chase others when guarding fry but never have injured or killed another fish. When they were in a 75 for a little bit they killed every living soul but no in the larger tank. So it will certainly work but we all now every fish is different.

The best way to get a pair is start with 5-6 oscars then wait for them to pair off. Sounds easy right? Well it's not. This require a large tank with large messy aggressive fish. The second issue is the lesbian factor, which it's very common for 2 females to pair off leading you to believe you have a pair but you'll see eggs that are never fertilized. They don't start maturing till they're around 18 months and by then they are at least 10" plus. My pair didnt start till the male was 14" and the female is around 13+, and they beat the living heck out of each other every spawn, testing to make sure the other is worthy.

Back
Top Bottom