stocking and growth of african cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yellowblaze

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. I'm new to this forum and the hobby. Started the tank 2 months ago, 90 gallon African cichlids (wanted to do all male, unfortunately got two females, lfs mistakenly identified it wrong, I think). One of the female I think is pregnant. Didn't like it so eventually I may have to remove those two females, not looking forward to the mess of catching a fish in a 90 gallon tank :( Anyways, I have 11 fishes in the tank now, all size 3-3.5" size and one 2" size; all peacocks and Haps. My question is, can I add 5" size into the tank now? I see some chasing in the tank now (at least three of them I see), definitely one of the 3.5" size one likes to chase. Is adding bigger size fishes to the ones which are already in there cause more aggression? I'm planning to add more peaceful ones, possibly Red top Lwanda, lemon Jake and Regal Blue (sorry, I'm only familiar with the common names). Also, how fast do they grow, would the 3" grow to 5" in six months? I wished I started with 5" sizes fishes to be able to see more colors and personalities, but didn't want to spend $$ and loose them since I'm new to aquarium set up and maintenance; it turned out I've been spending since then anyway, live and learn....
Thank you all for your time!.....

I've had a peacock and hap tank for about a year now, and the chasing is just part of it no matter how many or how big they are. As far as growth rate I think that has a lot to do with what and how much you feed them. I feed NLS and once a day and a couple of the original fish I got that are still around have probably grown around 1 1/2" to 2" in a year. Personally I would not hesitate to put larger fish in but would definitely add 4 or 5 and not just 1or 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've been feeding them NLS once a day, about 60 pellets maybe?...and they seem to be hungry still. Then some flakes for one or two who are still skittish and don't get as much of the pellets. I'm thinking of stocking it up to 20 fishes, so maybe add more of the bigger ones this time. How often do you water change? Is 1x/week necessary? I've heard 1x/ 2 weeks. I check parameter 1x/week, parameter is good but I do 25% water change with vacuum anyway. Wondering if I can do 2x/week.

I do a about a 40% water change once a week. You may be able to get away with doing it every other week now but when you get to 20 fish you will definitely want to do it weekly.

Thank you, really appreciate your help!
One more question if you don't mind, would I need another filter in the tank? Currently have fluval 406 canister.

That will be fine you just may have to clean it a little more often when you get up to 20 fish. You can never have to much filtration, I have enough to do double my gallons of my tank.

Alexia. When u say u have twice the filtration u need I hope you don't mean only twice the gallons per hour of ur tank. The filtration for a cichlid tank should be at least 5x per hour of the tank volume and I try to get close to 10x so 900 gph for a 90 gal tank.

What I meant was my filters are aqua clear 110's they are rated for up to110 gal tank a piece. I have a 75 gal tank right now so they move plenty of water for it. Very shortly I plan on moving to a 125 gal, and want to get an fx6.

Oh ok. I usually ignore the rating and focus on the gph of each filter to make sure they cover what I need. I don't know the gph of aqua clears but I recommend ignoring the manufacturers rating and using your own judgement and the gph rating of the filter.

Edit: just looked it up. Aquaclear 110's have 500 gph so that's about a 6.5x turnover rate which isn't bad for a 75 as long as it's not overstocked and you really don't over feed.

Thank you, really appreciate your help!
One more question if you don't mind, would I need another filter in the tank? Currently have fluval 406 canister.

Better to over filter for cichlids. I prefer two filters to alternate cleanings. You could add an AC110 and it will give you more water movement too.

We do have fluval 306, got it on sale :)....just haven't decided if I should add it to the tank, if it's necessary or return the product.....I also have a power head in the tank for water movement, should I remove that if I setup/add the second filter? Also planning on adding the wand bubbler later.

Back
Top Bottom