stocking aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm curious how many Astronotus ocellatus you two have had collectively since I've never experienced a "lazy" one in nearly 3 decades, especially since at that size is when they're sexually matured.

Ok well they dont really get "lazy" per-say but they dont move around as much. I had one in a 55. Had one in a 75. And had one in my 150 abd they all became less active around 8-9". Although i did get them all from petco. But one oscar in a 55 is ok as long as the person has good WC schedule and filtration is good.

Ok well they dont really get "lazy" per-say but they dont move around as much. I had one in a 55. Had one in a 75. And had one in my 150 abd they all became less active around 8-9". Although i did get them all from petco. But one oscar in a 55 is ok as long as the person has good WC schedule and filtration is good.

Hmmm so you take a large fish and throw him in a small glass box and when he doesn't have the room at adequately move he's lazy? It has nothing to do with the fish, it's the fact he has nowhere to go. I've bred and raised thousands hundreds and I mean hundreds of oscars in a 72" tank so trust me when I say they're far from lazy.

Hmmm so you take a large fish and throw him in a small glass box and when he doesn't have the room at adequately move he's lazy? It has nothing to do with the fish, it's the fact he has nowhere to go. I've bred and raised thousands hundreds and I mean hundreds of oscars in a 72" tank so trust me when I say they're far from lazy.

Om i trust you. Im just saying, even when i had my red oscar in the 150 he didnt do anything. I had perfect water params, filtration, feeding, and he just laid on his side except when feeding time. Didnt have HLLE or anything. Just didnt do anything.

Oscars are kinda lazy fish when they get old, so I would say length, because they don't move around a whole lot. They don't spaz out and switch direction a lot. 55 long is fine for an Oscar it is not ideal but it would work. I would upgrade to a 90 if you wanted more than one

Thanx I'm only going to get one at the moment although I would love to have to but can't afford it at the moment

Dude stop trying to act like your all that. Oscars get lazy when they get older

I don't know a lot about new world cichlids, but here's some ideas: green terror, Texas cichlid, Midas, green Severum, jewel cichlids, convicts, fire mouth.
Like I said, I wouldn't know their attitudes in that size of a tank. I just listed a few fish that I've heard about. If someone with greater knowledge on new worlds, could narrow down that list.

Dude stop trying to act like your all that. Oscars get lazy when they get older

And your basing this off your vast experience of keeping cichlids? Please don't make statements that you have nothing but regurgitated information off other aquarium sites. I will repeat the question again since you obviously missed reading that part, how many oscars have you had???

This forum is turning into a daycare facility, it's like we are babysitting without getting paid!!!

Last edited:

I will b puting a lot of filtration and weekly water changes.

Hukit, I can't believe you haven't explained to these children that you are amongst the most knowledgable person on this page with more experience than half the members combined. If he says something it's as close to fact as your going to find.

Hukit, I can't believe you haven't explained to these children that you are amongst the most knowledgable person on this page with more experience than half the members combined. If he says something it's as close to fact as your going to find.

I already know he is! I go to him with almost all of questions about new worlds!

He would be the first person I go to once I get a large tank for new world cichlids

Back
Top Bottom