Stocking decision

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chval

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I received a FLUVAL OSAKA 155 Bent Glass Aquarium (41 US gal) for Christmas. It measures 24" wide x 24" tall x 18" deep and it came with a Flval 205 Canister Filter, 150 W heater, and a suspended lighting system.

I have a 55 gal. community tank made up of 6 angel fish, 7 black skirt tetras, 4 cory cats & 2 gold algae eaters.

I would like to make the new tank a cichlid tank and I like the looks of the Ps. Saulosi but I'm not sure if they would work in this size of tank. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am looking for "color".

If Saulosi's won't work, please give me alternatives. I do like the looks of Yellow Tail Acie, Demasoni & Kingsizei. I will most likely end up ordering most online as our lfs has limited stock.

Since I am planning on stocking some type of cichlids I was planning on buying from Dr Fosters & Smith some Eco-Complete African Cichlid Substrate. Probably the gravel not the sand. Does that sound like a good option? I will also be putting in some rocks. Should I buy a specific kind (where?) or can I take some from our rock pile?

Thank you for any and all help. I just want to do this right the first time!

Connie

The only thing i can think of that would be a problem is cichlids, at least mine, loved to spit rocks at the glass. Not hard enough to crack it or anything, just enough to make a sound. thought i would mention it just in case.

If you plan to add the cichlids you wil need to remove most of your current stock. If you are going for a specialty substrate, go for the sand. Africans love to play in the sand. And quite honestly, save your money and just get pool filter sand. There is no real reason to purchase the higher price specialty sands. If you are trying to achieve a higher pH, add some crushed coral to the filter or a piece of limestone to the tank.

I was looking for stocking suggestions for the new 41 gal tank not my established 55 gal tank.

As far as I know, there is no place in town where I can buy pfs. So no matter what I get it will be expensive because of shipping.

As far as I know, there is no place in town where I can buy pfs. So no matter what I get it will be expensive because of shipping.
You have a Meijer or Walmart? as they normally have it, or maybe its just in the summer?

Sorry, I read your post incorrectly.

I would not use any rocks that you collect unless you are absolutely certain the type and if they will leach anything into the water. PFS can be found at any pool supply store. It is even carried at our local hardware store. It's going to be a lot cheaper than the specialty sands but the choice is yours.

Regarding the fish, my rule of thumb is no Malawi Africans in anything less than a 55. Some keep them in smaller tanks but IMO a 55 is the min size.

Back
Top Bottom