Stocking decisions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skyrmir

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was hoping to get some opinions on stocking some angels. I'm working on getting a 30 gallon planted tank up and running.
Right now there are 5 Panda Cories, 4 Zebra Danios and a rasbora in the tank. The danio's and rasbora are just visiting until all the swordtail fry get big enough to evict from thier home 20 gallon tank.

The trick I'm trying to figure out is the angels I want to add. I'd like to get 4 angels in hopes of getting a pair. So is there really enough room for 4 of them, and if so would I be able to add something like a small group of neons? Or am I just nuts and that's too many fish for only a 30 gallon? Also what's a good wait time for adding angels as I've heard it's best to put them in an established tank. I was thinking sometime in December if I had to wait, otheriwise I was gonna give it a few weeks to make sure it's stable.

And yes it's getting real hard not to turn towards the fish store on the way home from work every day! 8O They're taunting me!

I agree with the idea of getting four juvenile angelfish so that you can get one pair of adults. They will do fine in the planted 30 gallon aquarium IME. I have a similar setup right now.

I do not recommend that you put any neon or other small tetras in the tank with the angelfish however. Neons are a natural food source for angelfish in the wild and you will find that your school of neons will mysteriously get smaller in time. Some of the larger tetras like rummynose or Columbian will do fine though.

Toirtis said:
Going with scalares or altums?

What is the difference? I know that altums are the wild caught.. i don't mean to hijack the thread.. LOL, but i currently have 7 baby angles, I have 2 of the altum colored ones (stripes) but one has the longer finnage.. and i have 2 of the white ones (Gold?) with long fins, and 3 blushing angels with short fins. Is there a good reference site that will correctly identify the types of angels? I am hoping on getting a breeding pair or two out of the mix 8) But i guess it would be nice to know exactly what they are... I just picked out the prettiest ones out of the tank... hard to do becuase they were all so tiny, only about the size of a penny! Now they are probably nickle size.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's unlikely that you ended up with any pterophyllum altum. They are a different species than pterophyllum scalare. I don't really know anything about the differences beyond that, except that I've heard they are more difficult to keep, and all the ones I've seen are much more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom