Stocking help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DCLXVI

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello!

So after getting super excited and buying and re-homing/returning fish over the course of the year. I have taken the last month or two to be patient and really think about what I want in my take for the long run. So after sleepless night researching and staring into LFS tank this is the list I came up with.

The Kuhli loaches are the only "maybe" in the bunch. I really like "eel" like fish, but having a planted aquarium im still looking for a good match. I like rope fish, peacock eels, Kuhlis ect.

Any changes or things I should look out for please let me know. I would also like and Alt for the Kuhlis if anyone has a recommendation.

Thanks

Attachments

• AquStockImage2.php.png
    AquStockImage2.php.png
    23 KB · Views: 60
DCLXVI said:
Hello!

So after getting super excited and buying and re-homing/returning fish over the course of the year. I have taken the last month or two to be patient and really think about what I want in my take for the long run. So after sleepless night researching and staring into LFS tank this is the list I came up with.

The Kuhli loaches are the only "maybe" in the bunch. I really like "eel" like fish, but having a planted aquarium im still looking for a good match. I like rope fish, peacock eels, Kuhlis ect.

Any changes or things I should look out for please let me know. I would also like and Alt for the Kuhlis if anyone has a recommendation.

Thanks

Hi, i would not do 4 angels in a 45 gallon. It could work, but only by themselves IMO. Instead of the kuhlis you could get a peacock eel, i have 1 and he is my favorite fish. And the rasboras, im not sure if they would be big enough to not be eaten by a full grown angel.

Hi, i would not do 4 angels in a 45 gallon. It could work, but only by themselves IMO. Instead of the kuhlis you could get a peacock eel, i have 1 and he is my favorite fish. And the rasboras, im not sure if they would be big enough to not be eaten by a full grown angel.

I'm flexible on the angels. I have had the same 2 for many months now So I thought about adding a few more. I actually had 6 together at one point, but due to a fungal outbreak I lost 4 of them over the course of a week (they were juveniles so im not surprised). They have been with the Rasboras the entire time with 0 problems. I guess I'm more concerned with the ram with the angels and rasboras (having never owned one).

DCLXVI said:
I'm flexible on the angels. I have had the same 2 for many months now So I thought about adding a few more. I actually had 6 together at one point, but due to a fungal outbreak I lost 4 of them over the course of a week (they were juveniles so im not surprised). They have been with the Rasboras the entire time with 0 problems. I guess I'm more concerned with the ram with the angels and rasboras (having never owned one).

Oh the ram will be fine provide that you give it caves/territory, and dont overcrowd the tank. I would only do 2 angels, a peacock eel, a ram or two, and 10 rasboras or so

Yea, I was thinking about getting a Cichlid stone for it. The only thing about the eel is that it likes to burrow under the sand and my tank is planted. I dont know if i feel like re-planting every night :facepalm:

Literally any other suggestion would be cool.

I also just remembered I have a farlowella cat fish. I always forget because he does such a good job at blending in with the drift wood, but I don't think It makes much of a difference.

IMO if you have a forlowella cat I wouldn't add anything else to the bottom, I think that it would be happier by itself to the bottom.

I agree, two angels.

Just seven or eight rasboras.

IMO if you have a forlowella cat I wouldn't add anything else to the bottom, I think that it would be happier by itself to the bottom.

I agree, two angels.

Just seven or eight rasboras.

Good point. Why cant I have a 110 gallon tank in my second floor apartment:banghead:?! Then I can keep all the fish I want lol

I really appreciate all the input, but I'm thinking about one more angle, mainly because with the 2 I defiantly see a bit of bullying and feel as though at least one more would help with that. Also angels are probably one of my favorite fish and the main reason I went from a 20 gallon to the 40. If you guys really think I shouldn't get at least one more let me know. I don't want to be that guy who asks for help and doesn't take it.

Any other suggestions at all for that last bit of stocking room would be awesome. Like anything that you think might fit with what I have lol.

Actually, the more angels you add the worse the aggression problem will become. Either that one just becomes bullied, it pairs up with one of your other angels and bullies the other one to death, it bullies one of the other ones to death, it pairs up with the bullying one and kills the other fish....There's a lot of things that can go wrong here. It's kinda risy....:hide:

Alright...you got me haha. :rolleyes:
I will stay away from another angel.

Anyone else want to chyme in with some suggestions for some fish?

Correct me if I'm wrong but with peaceful cichlids you have rams and angels...and that's it right?

DCLXVI said:
Yea, I was thinking about getting a Cichlid stone for it. The only thing about the eel is that it likes to burrow under the sand and my tank is planted. I dont know if i feel like re-planting every night :facepalm:

Literally any other suggestion would be cool.

It will only burrow at times,(scared, sick, unhappy). Mine did that for the first week or two, and now he shatters every preconcieved notion about peacock eels. Doesnt dig up plants (im also pretty heavily planted), eats from my hand, and is the farthest thing possible from nocternal. I may be just lucky, but mine is the coolest most personable fish i have seen....ever. As you can see, i am really pulling twords one lol

It will only burrow at times,(scared, sick, unhappy). Mine did that for the first week or two, and now he shatters every preconcieved notion about peacock eels. Doesnt dig up plants (im also pretty heavily planted), eats from my hand, and is the farthest thing possible from nocternal. I may be just lucky, but mine is the coolest most personable fish i have seen....ever. As you can see, i am really pulling twords one lol

Yea, that sounds awesome. That's why I originally wanted a Black ghost knife. To bad my tank isn't big enough. Well I will definitely put some thought into it, I'm just worried you are the exception and I will have a plant digging eel.

DCLXVI said:
Yea, that sounds awesome. That's why I originally wanted a Black ghost knife. To bad my tank isn't big enough. Well I will definitely put some thought into it, I'm just worried you are the exception and I will have a plant digging eel.

I agree, i could be lucky! Mine is a big boy too, about 6". I can say this, they dont care who they run into. Mine will run into every fish, plant, wall, whatever! Hahah its funny. The only plant that he has ever messed with is a crypt in a corner. He would literally host the thing like a clownfish! Lol i everntually moved it to another corner and dug it into the gravel deeper. Problem solved

lol. Well Maybe if I go to the other LFS around me and they still have one maybe i will grab him. the only problem is its the gross LFS with dirty tanks and they put fish together that don't belong together. Angelfish in brackish water? puffers with discus? yep....

Back
Top Bottom