Stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starjessie56

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am getting a 55 gallon tank and want to fill it with cichlids. Right now I have a 6 inch pleco which would need to Be in it. I like African cichlids better than South American. Could anyone give me some ideas as to what kinds of cichlids and how many of each? Thank you in advance!

I am getting a 55 gallon tank and want to fill it with cichlids. Right now I have a 6 inch pleco which would need to Be in it. I like African cichlids better than South American. Could anyone give me some ideas as to what kinds of cichlids and how many of each? Thank you in advance!

Well you can do either Malawi cichlids, Tanganyikan, or Victorian. Just research each and see which lake you'd rather do! Otherwise you can try to mix them!

You also need to work out whether you want aggressive fish or more peaceful fish like Peacocks as you have to be careful what you put together. You can't mix some genus too as they can hybridize.

Best bet is to look at what fish is your favourite and build around it.

Check out other peeps' vids of their cichlid tanks and see which fish you are more attracted to...

Lake Malawi fish are usually the more popular.. Mbunas and peacock/haps

Livefishdirect.com has some pics and vids for you to check out

Large group of demasoni and smaller group of yellow labidochromis. Or just species only tank or pseudotropheus saulosi. Good yellows and blues colors either way and nothing too big.

How will you be getting the fish, ordering online? (Way broader selection IMO) buying from your lfs? (Risk of unhealthy fish i.e. petco) or buying from a local breeder? This will determine your selection choices as too the species of fish and variety.

How will you be getting the fish, ordering online? (Way broader selection IMO) buying from your lfs? (Risk of unhealthy fish i.e. petco) or buying from a local breeder? This will determine your selection choices as too the species of fish and variety.

I think I like the Malawi cichlids better. I would be getting them from a local breeder. Any ideas on how many of each type?

How about like 7 saulosi, 5 red zebra and 5 cobalt zebra, socolofi, or albino socolofi? That's a good mix of colors. Maybe some maingano (electric blue Johanni ) not the regular Johanni they're too mean!

How about like 7 saulosi, 5 red zebra and 5 cobalt zebra, socolofi, or albino socolofi? That's a good mix of colors. Maybe some maingano (electric blue Johanni ) not the regular Johanni they're too mean!

I decided that I will be getting assorted cichlids instead. They are only $3.99 compared to $8.99. How many should I do?

I am a newbie like yourself and from what i have read it is not good to buy from the mixed cichlid tank,, more than likely you can mix fish that should not be together in the first place such as mbuna and haplochromines also some peacocks.. I have a 120 and went with an all male tank

I decided that I will be getting assorted cichlids instead. They are only $3.99 compared to $8.99. How many should I do?

Lots of what you Re getting are going to be hybrid cross breeds more than likely and not any pure fish. Been there and I got rid of them all and restocked from a trusted source. For the most part! You will enjoy them no matter what you do and I would do about 17 total

Lots of what you Re getting are going to be hybrid cross breeds more than likely and not any pure fish. Been there and I got rid of them all and restocked from a trusted source. For the most part! You will enjoy them no matter what you do and I would do about 17 total

So will all of the assorted cichlids get along when they are older? I would assume that they would but I just wanted to be sure!

So will all of the assorted cichlids get along when they are older? I would assume that they would but I just wanted to be sure!

Well there's no way to tell that with type of cichlids for sure. We have all ended up having to rehome some crazy fish at some point! Just be prepared to do so if need be and try not to mix peacocks and haps with mbuna or cichlids from different parts of the world an you will be off to a good start. Just try to stay away from the super aggressive ones like Auratus, Bumblebee, Kenyi, Johanni. USUALLY the assorted tanks have some pure ish looking fish and hybrids mixed and you can get some good yellow labs, red zebra, cobalt zebra, and albino socolofi from them. Or if you are lucky the petsmart an petco have good fish near me and do not usually have a huge "assorted" tank they label them correct! Well about half the major chain stores around me do! I still pay that little extra to a mom and pop to know that I'm getting quality fish and supporting a small business.

Do a little research so you know what to look for in these types of not as aggressive yet good looking fish and also look up the more aggressive ones and know what NOT to get.

The more research the better and you will be very glad you did! Good luck and if you see some fish u like snap some pics at the store and post them and someone will likely jump in and id them for u and offer an opinion! This sites great to learn on I'm far from a veteran and am learning lots from being on here!

NO THEY WONT! never assume that just because theyre in the same tank theyre all a big family, we've all been down that road, and its not pretty, some fish will grow bigger than others and faster than others, some will try to kill and eat others, some will basically just try to kill the others, etc.

Try to stick to either more gentle genuses or genuses that get along well, i have a well stocked 65gal tank with mbuna, cobue, and a single pleco and theyre all doing great, granted a couple males will compete for dominance but thats normal, nothing to kill over BUT some fish dont mix well with others of the same genus like Demasoni, beautiful fish, but dont get along well with others if you have 1 or 2 only.

Just do some reaserch, heres a list that helped me out alot when i was looking to get fish stock list together in one order.

Attachments

• EBA 009.jpg
    EBA 009.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 75
For lake victoria cichlids you could do pelvicachromis pulcher.

Pelvicachromis pulcher is not endemic to Lake Victoria, it's a west African river fish that is commonly found in the coastal regions of Nigeria and west-central Cameroon. It's sad to say but Pulcher is a very played out fish, personally I'd go for a taeniatus variant if I were to get a Pelvicachromis.

My favorite fish are yellow labs, red zebra, and acei. Can I put them together? If yes how many if each and what other cichlids would work well with them!

My favorite fish are yellow labs, red zebra, and acei. Can I put them together? If yes how many if each and what other cichlids would work well with them!

You can. I'd do a group of the 3 types. Line 4 of each then a couple other random singles you like

Back
Top Bottom