Stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

longshot.kh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok, was setting up a 30 long as a step toward a 120+ in the near future. (the 30g is a free tank) I DIY'd the filter setup and got it filled and scaped. Now I was going to use it to put two baby Oscars in until I find a 120, buuuuut I started rocking it and liked it, this is no habitat for an Oscar and I'm likely gonna keep this when I get the bigger tank so now the question is what to put in it?? Like to stick with cichlids and I am WAY over filtered so that isn;'t a concern.. (6 gallon canister and running somewhere around 250 - 300 gph flow) So help me out here, what should I do? (after cycling of course)

img_2990900_0_d67534fb5f720c19c7fcf82083ebb36a.jpg

Still need to get a heater and build the hood, but there is the tank

thanks for any input.
LS

Basically you're gonna be looking into fish under 6". Most of the rift lakes ("african cichlids") are out of contention, as it's too small for pretty much every available species from Malawi and Victoria (although Victoria does have some species, like pseudocranilabrus multicolour) and all the tanganyikan species that could go in there require sand (and many require shells). So that leaves South and Central america, as well as african riverine. These genus should be a good starting point for you to look, just google search them, look at the images, and see if any of them interest you, and then look more into those fish.

Thorichthys (firemouths, look into more than just Meeki, the common firemouth)
Cryptoheros
Amatitlania
Cleithracara
Laetacara
Biotodoma
Apistogramma
Nannacara
Ivanacara
Pelvicachromis
Nanochromis

Those are all the ones of the top of my head. Also go to your LFS and look at what they have to offer. If you have a smartphone, take pictures of the labels of fish you like, go home, and research them more. Research is gonna be the key. We all can tell you dozens, probably hundreds of species, but that doesn't mean they are available to you, or that you will like them. Good luck

Tanganyikan cichlids are cool, and many stay pretty small.
I addressed the issue with tangs in my comment. Most of the smaller speceis require sand (nearly all shelldweller species), or rock piles (like julidochromis), while others are pretty rare

Back
Top Bottom