stocking ideas for cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iheartmyed9

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just purchased and slightly planted a 62 gallon tank. I have one topfin 60 and one penguin biowheel 55 gallon filter. Both are HOB. I'm wanting to upgrade soon to a eheim 2217 soon but until then I'd like to start thinking about stocking in the next few weeks. I currently only have one fish a blue melonachronis johanni. I want to fully plant the tank so I'd like cichlids that are less prone to nibble on them and I do plan on getting a ebjd for the tank as well.

Okay so from what I've read most cichlids are not going to be happy in the way I have my tank setup. From what I gather sand would be the best substrate for a cichlid tank? I currently have blue and brownish rocks that came with the tank.

I changed my substrate from gravel to sand a few weeks ago. My fish love it. They dig like crazy. Also I use fake plants. They dont mess with them but they do graze off the algae. You cant tell there fake once they get some algae on them.

I have an Electric Blue Johanni in a 55 gallon with sone-colored gavel and he has been just fine. Be warned that Johanni are categorized as extremely aggressive with their own kind, and very aggressive with other kinds. Now, I have chosen to ignore this and have 4 Yellow Labs, a Ps. Acei and a Rainbow Shark and there have been no serious altercations so far; but mine are still yet Juvenile. I would suggest you choose other aggressive Mbunas.

I have an Electric Blue Johanni in a 55 gallon with sone-colored gavel and he has been just fine. Be warned that Johanni are categorized as extremely aggressive with their own kind, and very aggressive with other kinds. Now, I have chosen to ignore this and have 4 Yellow Labs, a Ps. Acei and a Rainbow Shark and there have been no serious altercations so far; but mine are still yet Juvenile. I would suggest you choose other aggressive Mbunas.

Please explain why you warn someone else, but choose to ignore the very advice you are giving? You may have no issues now with juveniles, but down the road a bit, that Johanni will be the only one you have left, with the possible exception of the Ps. Acei.

That's a fair question. Sure, I can explain. Information from different so-called experts frequently conflict. I had set out for my Local Pet Store with intentions to purchase a couple of Ruby Reds. However, they did not have any in stock. With cash in hand and an itch to purchase new fish, I asked the owner of the place (who has a reputation locally of being an expert in the Cichlid field) what would go with my current Cichlids. He showed me the Johanni, which no doubt is a very nice-looking Malawi Cichlid. He assured me that it was compatible with my fish, so purchased it.

On the way home I stopped at another LPS to ask them about it. They told me that, if anything, the Johanni would be at risk since it would not get as large as the other tankmakes.

When I got home and added it to the tank I looked it up, and posted a few questions on a few message boards (I didn't know this one existed at the time). Every response I got back was that the Johanni was way too aggressive to go my other fish, and that it would no doubt kill some or all of them eventually. I called the LPS back where I purchased it and asked them about these findings, but they again reassured me that they had been in the business for 10+ years and there has never been a problem with them being with less aggressive fish. They were actually rather affronted that I challenged them about it.

Honestly at this point I had been through several conflicts of opinions on a wide variety of things regarding Rift Lake Cichlids, and I had rather had it with opinions and conflicts thereof. In addition, I (and the others in my family) had become rather attached to the new addition. So I decided that I would follow my own instincts, monitor them daily. If I had any injuries (or casualties) then I would consider it a lesson learned and take the Johanni out of the tank. Well it's been a couple of months and there have been no problems. However, there is no guarantee that once they juveniles come of age that one day I will come home to learn a hard lesson. I will post back if this is the case.

Now, in hindsight, with that being said here is my recommendation (advice that I plan to follow henceforth): Don't but Cichlids without first researching them and making sure they are compatible. I was new to Cichlids and didn't know any better. Resist having impulse purchases, or just trusting the advice of an LPS. Take note of what they have in inventory, then take the time to go home and research. No doubt there will be conflicts of opinion, but I would go with the popular opinion before committing to a purchase. It's easier to decide not to buy something then to decide whether to remove a questionable species that you have grown fond of.

JD

Very well said, and thanks for the back info ~ helps others to see why you did what you did. I really like this part, as you make an excellent point. Obviously the temperment of every fish is not the same, and there will always be exceptions to the rule.

Now, in hindsight, with that being said here is my recommendation (advice that I plan to follow henceforth): Don't but Cichlids without first researching them and making sure they are compatible. I was new to Cichlids and didn't know any better. Resist having impulse purchases, or just trusting the advice of an LPS. Take note of what they have in inventory, then take the time to go home and research. No doubt there will be conflicts of opinion, but I would go with the popular opinion before committing to a purchase. It's easier to decide not to buy something then to decide whether to remove a questionable species that you have grown fond of.

JD

Back
Top Bottom