Stocking opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Italy592

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 75 gallon tank with laced rock setup with about 12 caves setup ! I have air stones and 2 filters ( penguin 350 bio wheel ) running at all time with sand as well! But my tank stock is
Lake Malawi: Mbuna
2 Yellow labs (1m/1f)
3 Red Zebras (1m/2f)
2 Yellow tail acei (1m/1f)
2 Rusty Cichlids(1m/1f)
2 Socolofi (1m/1f)
1 Cynotilipia Afra cobue (1m)

Lake Malawi: Haplochromis
2 Red Empress's (1m/1f)
2 Blue Dolphins (1m/1f)
1 Ruby Red Peacock (1m)
1 lethrinops (1m)

Also the biggest fish is the male dolphin about 4 inches !! And the rest vary between 2-4 inches !!

Wow it sounds great to me. I just love the dolphin fish. Another cool fish is the frontoas. I have a 55g, 45 g, 20g, 15 g, 10 g, on Monday I'm getting 2 more 55g tank off craigslist. Maybe I can get the dolphin and the frontosa. Good luck and have fun.

Just curious any particular reason you have 2 yellow labs, 2 yellow tails, and 2 rustys? Don't the females run the risk of getting harassed and undernourished since in nature they're harem types? Just curious.

Italy592 said:
I have a 75 gallon tank with laced rock setup with about 12 caves setup ! I have air stones and 2 filters ( penguin 350 bio wheel ) running at all time with sand as well! But my tank stock is
Lake Malawi: Mbuna
2 Yellow labs (1m/1f)
3 Red Zebras (1m/2f)
2 Yellow tail acei (1m/1f)
2 Rusty Cichlids(1m/1f)
2 Socolofi (1m/1f)
1 Cynotilipia Afra cobue (1m)

Lake Malawi: Haplochromis
2 Red Empress's (1m/1f)
2 Blue Dolphins (1m/1f)
1 Ruby Red Peacock (1m)
1 lethrinops (1m)

Well well look who it is the master mind of aqua scapes. ;) what's been up bro long time no see? Is this a new tank or the same?

I keep 1 on 1 yellow labs and the male puts a lot of wear on the female breeding wise. But they get along and once the fry get bigger I'm hoping it takes some stress off the female.

With the rustys I tryed to keep the 1 on 1 and it didn't work out so well. The male was pretty aggressive to all the females until someone layed him down to rest. Other than that they don't do a think for me because they blend in with all the rock work.

With the haps I wouldn't put them in a tank with the others in less than a 6' tank. But if you must the Blue Dolphins get big so I'd x them out.

The ruby red in my tank is very dull in color and wast when I bought him. I'm assuming its from being in a mixed tank.

Well buddy I've been good just doing new thins I did my aqua scape different again and YESS all in the same tank ya know I have over 12 caves and I've never had a problem with females getting over beaten because I take em out of there pregnant and put then in a ten gallon tank alone and second I don't I was just asking for now everyone is fine I know when the Haps get big I'm going to have to get a bigger tank but for now are they ok ??

Protomelas taeniolatus push the 10", need allot of swim space and can be pretty aggressive. One thing you have to realize is the caves only really benefit the Mbuna. Haps need lots of open swimming space and open floor space to sift through the sand. IMO mixing haps and Mbuna in this small of of a tank will only result in problems down the road. On top of that you have the semi aggressive Mbuna with pretty peaceful Haps, with the exception of the protomelas.

Italy592 said:
Well buddy I've been good just doing new thins I did my aqua scape different again and YESS all in the same tank ya know I have over 12 caves and I've never had a problem with females getting over beaten because I take em out of there pregnant and put then in a ten gallon tank alone and second I don't I was just asking for now everyone is fine I know when the Haps get big I'm going to have to get a bigger tank but for now are they ok ??

You'll probably be ok for several months (depending on the size) imo but then you'll need to upgrade. You still need to get rid of the dolphin as they get to big. The haps tend to really slow down on growth when they start to mature. Witch will probably by you a little more time so you can get the bigger tank.

Andrew McFadden said:
You'll probably be ok for several months (depending on the size) imo but then you'll need to upgrade. You still need to get rid of the dolphin as they get to big. The haps tend to really slow down on growth when they start to mature. Witch will probably by you a little more time so you can get the bigger tank.

All haps grow at different rates, some like the Exochromis grow pretty fast at about. 1" a month while some like Phenos grow really slow at about .25" a month. Either way though that tank is much to small for the haps.

Mogurako said:
All haps grow at different rates, some like the Exochromis grow pretty fast at about. 1" a month while some like Phenos grow really slow at about .25" a month. Either way though that tank is much to small for the haps.

I know I said that on my first post :)

Back
Top Bottom