Stocking question????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ukdans1k

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, call me mad, but I've been offered some tanks on racking.
The tanks are 2ft tanks and there is 8 in each racking and there is two racks so 16 in total.

I'm so excited I can't think straight. Any way I was worried that having only 2ft tanks would limit my options interms of fish choice .

I like cichlids, all of them. Lol So would like to stock at least half with breeding pairs or trio's. And have some tanks left for fry tanks.

Do you think the tanks are too small or is this possible? What are people's suggestions for stocking, my water is hard so that limits me to certain fish unless already breed in hard water.

Let me know what you think???? The choice is to much for me!!!!! Lol

I think the 2ft tanks will be to small for cichlids except for dwarfs and shell dwellers or you could go with smaller community fish. Having hard water doesn't limit your options most fish will be fine in any water as long as the ph is stable.

Unfortunately community fish don't interest me. I like them but dont wish to keep them, figured I could get away with just a breeding pair or trio in each tank. I do like dwarfs, but was thinking demansoni, yellow lab, peacocks. Severum maybe some angels. . Maybe some dwarfs.

What size tanks do people have in their fish rooms? And what size breeding tanks do people use????

These will not be used for show tanks but breeding tanks only.

Some of the smaller Mbuna like labs may breed in those however a 2ft tank would be much to small for Angels or Sevrums. Personally I'd use them for QT tanks, to grow out fry or to put holding females in.

Ok maybe I'll give it a miss. Wanted to stock breeding tanks only. No point if they are too small. . Thought they might be too small but was hoping with just two/three fish in might be ok. Gutted!!!

Like others said, smaller ones like kribs and shelldwellers could work, and would be easier to sell the fry than the larger, more aggressive species.

Ok thanks for the advice. What's ever ones thoughts on the minimum size for breeding tanks for cichlids like the ones I mentioned? I only want to stock minimum numbers of fish to breed of any one species.

Ukdans1k said:
Ok thanks for the advice. What's ever ones thoughts on the minimum size for breeding tanks for cichlids like the ones I mentioned? I only want to stock minimum numbers of fish to breed of any one species.

55 gallon or 40 breeder.

Ok thanks just weighing up my options. I have a standard 3 ft tank I could use, also a 2.5 ft tank for fry and another 36 x18x30 currently spare . But does allow for many species.

Ok with the suggestion of a 40g tank, what species was that based on and the numbers there of?

Ukdans1k said:
Ok with the suggestion of a 40g tank, what species was that based on and the numbers there of?

I would do dwarf Mbuna or peacocks and I wouldn't put anymore than 4-6 fish in a 40 breeder.

Hi just worked out that one of my tanks is 74 gallons. However its measurements are 36x30x17. Is size or amount of gallons more important. As I was thinking this could be suitable to breed some peacocks and yellow labs in?

Your thought please ?
Thanks

Ukdans1k said:
Hi just worked out that one of my tanks is 74 gallons. However its measurements are 36x30x17. Is size or amount of gallons more important. As I was thinking this could be suitable to breed some peacocks and yellow labs in?

Your thought please ?
Thanks

Size is the big issue. What you are mainly looking at is the footprint. "imagine looking directly down into the tank"

Back
Top Bottom