Stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I bet you get a lot of these questions so sorry but I have a 41g ( I think it it's bigger) its a aqua one ar-850 and I have two small jewel cichlids. I am going to my lfs and I am thinking of maybe 3 electric yellows or something along those lines. Any ideas of fish? And how many should I get of one species? Thanks

Tom.fish said:
Hey guys, I bet you get a lot of these questions so sorry but I have a 41g ( I think it it's bigger) its a aqua one ar-850 and I have two small jewel cichlids. I am going to my lfs and I am thinking of maybe 3 electric yellows or something along those lines. Any ideas of fish? And how many should I get of one species? Thanks

Don't get any more fish
The jewels may kill them plus you are already stocked

But I only have two fish? Is it because of the jewels?

I disagree. The jewels will be fine in that size of a tank. I would not mix African rift lake fish with the jewels which are riverine however. Their preferred water conditions and nutrition are too different for them to both thrive.

Thanks guys, I may rehome them but I do like them :/. The lfs said I could keep them with other fish but I wanted to check. So I can not have any fish with them or I can't have rift lake cichlids with them. Are electric yellows rift lake? Thanks

HN1 said:
I disagree. The jewels will be fine in that size of a tank. I would not mix African rift lake fish with the jewels which are riverine however. Their preferred water conditions and nutrition are too different for them to both thrive.

I didn't mean thy wouldn't be fine
I just meant that African rift lake cichlids wouldn't be the best choice with them and I wouldnt add anymore fish
JMHO

What are the common rift lake species ( just so I no ) thanks

There are 100s in the hobby if not 1000s. Anything labeled as mbuna, malawi, victorian, tangs, haps, peacocks, etc. It is best to seek the scientific name to be sure. They are hard water / high pH fish, your jewels aren't. If you want to keep them and want color, I'd suggest a small school of emperor tetras to stay with the "african river theme" or most any other peaceful tetras or danios.

My cichlids are in a PH of 8.2 and doin great. I do have a jewel in with them and he seems to be just fine but with a high PH they do lose their color.

Back
Top Bottom