Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Stocking questions

I have a 30g mbuna tank, right now I have 6 mbuna in it. Do I have room for anymore? I'm using a fluval C4 filter which is turning the water over almost 10 times an hour and I do a 25% water change weekly. The mbuna are juvies but I'm already noticing a few bullies. Am I already over stocked or can I add a few more? Thanks for any help! Here's a pic of my setupClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394388407.701644.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	226774

Old 03-09-2014, 03:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

What mbuna do you have? Species like the Acei get pretty large, so it would require a larger tank. At 6 I would say you're at the limit due to the tank size, even if you had a filtration system to overstock, it would just be too cramped. Also depending on what 6 and if there are any females, things could get ugly as they mature.

(Vid Coming Soon)
SonicsDC25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have 2 acei, 2 red zebras and 2 kenyi. [Mod Edit]I want more! Guess I'll have to upgrade to a 55 or somethin. What I do NEED is a bottom feeder for the tank.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yah the bigger tank is needed as you should have more fish together than 6 but need more room. I'd get a 55 or 75 and do like 15 fish. They get aggressive quick no matter how small u think they are they grow pretty quick and get more aggressive every day! Keep an eye out on your local Craig's list for a used tank! Great deals to be had on there!
Old 03-10-2014, 12:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

+1 on checking Craigslist, even if you already have a large tank in the future, there's always an awesome deal out there for a larger one :p
(Vid Coming Soon)
SonicsDC25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Mbuna of any type are too aggressive to keep in a 30 gallon for anything more than an initial grow out tank. You need to upgrade to a tank with a minimum length of 4' and if you want to keep the Kenyi, you are going to need more like 6' and a whole lot more fish. Kenyi are very aggressive mbuna.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
question, questions, stock, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com