Stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishguy619

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30g mbuna tank, right now I have 6 mbuna in it. Do I have room for anymore? I'm using a fluval C4 filter which is turning the water over almost 10 times an hour and I do a 25% water change weekly. The mbuna are juvies but I'm already noticing a few bullies. Am I already over stocked or can I add a few more? Thanks for any help! Here's a pic of my setupImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394388407.701644.jpg

What mbuna do you have? Species like the Acei get pretty large, so it would require a larger tank. At 6 I would say you're at the limit due to the tank size, even if you had a filtration system to overstock, it would just be too cramped. Also depending on what 6 and if there are any females, things could get ugly as they mature.

I have 2 acei, 2 red zebras and 2 kenyi. [Mod Edit]I want more! Guess I'll have to upgrade to a 55 or somethin. What I do NEED is a bottom feeder for the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yah the bigger tank is needed as you should have more fish together than 6 but need more room. I'd get a 55 or 75 and do like 15 fish. They get aggressive quick no matter how small u think they are they grow pretty quick and get more aggressive every day! Keep an eye out on your local Craig's list for a used tank! Great deals to be had on there!

+1 on checking Craigslist, even if you already have a large tank in the future, there's always an awesome deal out there for a larger one :p

Mbuna of any type are too aggressive to keep in a 30 gallon for anything more than an initial grow out tank. You need to upgrade to a tank with a minimum length of 4' and if you want to keep the Kenyi, you are going to need more like 6' and a whole lot more fish. Kenyi are very aggressive mbuna.

Back
Top Bottom